Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Help!] Strange vague puzzle

1. Mar 6, 2008 #1
    The letters A-M = 202, therefore N-Z = ?

This is the whole problem. It's driving me nuts. Help? =(

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2008 #2

Air

It could be 202 as from A-M, there are 13 letters and from N-Z, there are 13 letters or the number figure would have to equal the same. (Hope I haven't confused too much).

4. Mar 7, 2008 #3
    haha yeah, but that's too easy. If the puzzle isn't garbage the answer should be more satisfying...

5. Mar 10, 2008 #4
    if there's more than one answer, then any of these suffices, but then it becomes a "bad" riddle...

6. Mar 10, 2008 #5
    There isn't enough information to draw any conclusion about the answer.

7. Mar 10, 2008 #6
  8. Mar 11, 2008 #7
    Interesting, if very vague puzzle. I can come up with a couple answers that *work*, but they don't seem particularly correct. Something like vowels are worth so many points and consonants are worth so many. Or counting the numbers of straight versus curved lines and scoring them differently. But those don't seem particularly "right".

I suspect it's something a bit more strange, like the letters' translation into Morse code or ASCII values or something like that. It's interesting, to say the least.

Playing around, I noticed that the letters J, K, and Z never appear in the alphabetic spelling of numbers-- every other letter is represented (although "C" first appears in the number "decillion", which is WAY up there!) I found it odd, since "zillion" and "jillion" are often used to represent large made-up numbers, and those two letters (2 out of the 3) aren't even ever used in any numeric spellings, so it's quite fitting! Apparently, we need to officially define "jillion", "killion", and "zillion" so they'll show up!

DaveE

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?