1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help (Taylor Series)

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    Hi,

My lecture had gave a project about analyzing and discussion about - Taylor Series.

I had done some research and tried understand and solve the question, but I'm in trouble now.
    I could only complete No.1 and No.2 (don't know whether is correct or not), I stuck at No.3 I have no idea how to continue, No.4 too. could someone please help me?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are evaluating the function in (3) incorrectly. You have
    [tex]f(x)= \sqrt{x}[/tex] [tex]f(4)= \sqrt{x} 4= 4\sqrt{x}[/tex]
    Are you multiplying by 4??? [itex]f(4)= \sqrt{4}= 2[/itex].

Similarly, since
    [tex]f'(x)= \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}[/tex], [tex]f'(4)= \frac{1}{2\sqrt{4}}= \frac{1}{4}[/tex]

In my opinion, for (2) you would be better off writing the exact value [itex]\sqrt{2}/2[/itex] than the approximate "0.70711".

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3
    Thanks for your reply. I had changed number back to fraction. The answer is more accurate. I had done number 4 as well. I have no idea with number 3, I don't know what to do with the square root. Besides, i would like to ask when differentiate cos X = -sin X thn how a bout -sin X? isn't become -cos X? in differentiation table does not have "-sin X"

5. Oct 1, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Can you be clearer on what you're asking? Your function is f(x) = x1/2. f'(x) = (1/2)x-1/2, and so on. It's probably easier to calculate your derivatives using exponent notation rather than using radicals. For this problem you need to estimate f(3.8) = f(4 + (-.2)), using a formula similar to what you show in #2.
    All you need to know for this problem are three rules:
    1. d/dx(sin x) = cos x
    2. d/dx(cos x) = -sin x
    3. d/dx(k f(x)) = k d/dx(f(x))
    The third rule can be used when k = -1.

6. Oct 1, 2009 #5
    Thanks. now I just want to ask about Number 3. I don't know how to start with the "square root".

7. Oct 1, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The first part of my reply was about #3. What part of it don't you understand? [itex]\sqrt{x} = x^{1/2}[/itex]

8. Oct 1, 2009 #7
    Edit: nevermind, my comment mirrored mark44, I didn't realize this at first but after a few readings I did.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook