What is the current in this circuit?

• Thread starter SuxAtPhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving two batteries and a 50-ohm resistor in a circuit. The goal is to determine the amount of current flowing in the circuit, but the internal resistance of the batteries and their opposing currents complicate the solution. The suggested approach is to use Ohm's law and the sum of the voltages in the loop to find the answer.
SuxAtPhysics
Ok, I already got all 6 points off on this homework problem:( but it might be on the test tomorrow. I know what the answers should be. He says you apply Kirchoff's rule, I've tried, and I don't get the right answers. Help! if you can get (a) I can get the rest.

Two batteries and a 50-ohm resistor are connected in a single, simple loop. The first battery has an EMF of 15 V and an internal resistance of 9 ohms. The second battery has an EMF of 9 V and an internal resistance of 4 ohms. The circuit is connected in such a way that first battery is trying to drive current clockwise in the circuit while the second battery is trying to drive current counterclockwise.

For questions (a) through (f) below, enter each answer as a positive number.

(a) How much current flows in the circuit?

0.0952 (real answer)

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture and use Ohm's law. The sum of the voltages around the loop will equal 0.

hmmm

Let's say I don't know what that is... I drew a picture. Ohm's law is v=ir but what do I do about the internal resistance, or that one's pushing current one way, and one's pushing current the other way...

That's the sweet thing about V=IR. Internal resitance, and the Source Voltage tells you how much Current the source is developing, does it not?

What is the purpose of testing tomorrow?

The purpose of testing tomorrow is to gather data and information about a certain subject or product in order to evaluate its performance, functionality, and potential improvements.

What kind of tests will be conducted tomorrow?

The specific tests that will be conducted tomorrow will depend on the subject or product being tested. They could range from experiments, surveys, simulations, or other methods to gather data and information.

Who will be conducting the tests tomorrow?

The tests tomorrow will be conducted by a team of scientists, researchers, or experts who have the necessary knowledge and skills to carry out the tests effectively and accurately.

How can I participate in testing tomorrow?

If you are interested in participating in testing tomorrow, you can reach out to the team conducting the tests and inquire about any opportunities for involvement. You may also be able to sign up for certain experiments or surveys related to the testing.

What will happen with the data and information collected during testing tomorrow?

The data and information collected during testing tomorrow will be analyzed and used to draw conclusions and make decisions about the subject or product being tested. It may also be shared with others in the scientific community for further research and development.