Help! Tests are Hell: Overcoming Calculation Errors & Anxiety

• Thread starter in-a-box
  • Start date
In summary: If I take my time and do each step, it's usually correct. The best way to combat this type of mistake is to practice problems over and over until you get them perfect.
in-a-box
On the last two calc I tests I got a 92 and an 86, respectively. All entirely due to calculation errors, and I really don't know how to stop making them. Starting at about an hour before class and all the way through an exam, I get mind-numbing anxiety attacks. I feel like I'm completely rushing through every problem (15-20 questions in an hour), but somehow I end up being one of the last still working, even before I check my answers. It's unbelievably frustrating because I whiz through all the problem sets, I'm very active during group problem solving and class discussion (the professor has even noted this multiple times), but the course is entirely graded on tests.

I just had a test today on chain rule, implicit differentiation, related rates, and log/inverse differentiation and I feel absolutely horrible about it. I did every problem because I knew how to set up every problem. I knew how to do all of the problems! At least, I think I did, maybe I really don't know the material. At this point I'm simply anticipating an okay grade for the test, but I really need to step it up. I'm making it a goal to get a 95 or better on the rest of the tests.

I'm not sure where my problem might lie (anxiety? I'm certainly studying enough, and spend about 2-3 hours on exercises a day), so any suggestions at all would be most welcome.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Computational errors on the exams is just one of those things that are very hard to fix. They usually happen (at least for me) if I'm trying to get through the algebra too quickly, like combining 3 or 4 steps into one. The only way I can see to fix this is to either go slowly and make sure every step is correct, but this may be obviously impractical because of time constraints on exams. The other way is to practice a lot so that you can get through the exam quickly and you'll have time to recheck your answers.

As ahsanxr noted, if you're having this problem, don't do steps in your head. There's no way to quickly check your work, if you don't write it down. Write it out. If you forgot to change a sign, etc. it will be easier to recognize.

I know this sounds old fashion, but a good meal the night before, a good night’s sleep, and a good breakfast in the morning makes a difference. Drop the caffeine the day before to give you a better shot at sleeping through the night. A refreshed mind thinks clearer and faster, IMO.

On top of the good advice from the other posters, I would say to make sure you do NOTHING for at least 45min-1hr before the class. Not for that class or any class. Just relax. Anxiety, will blow a test in a heartbeat. I'm in calc2 and for our first test I studied up until the start of class, and yes I could do the problems backwards and forwards. But when the test came...I froze...I was second guessing myself...and just overall frazzled. I got an 84, and was pretty aggravated at myself. So for the next test I reviewed that morning, and then gave myself that break and walked into the class a lot more relaxed. I got a 95 on that test and then a 105 on the last test. So yeah, it helps a lot.
Good luck man!

Thanks very much for the advice. It's interesting because on problem sets I can converse with myself in my head about how to approach a problem, and it works very well for me. On the test that's just gone and I go on autopilot, and that certainly doesn't seem to work.

I'll try all the night before stuff. I probably could've gotten more rest, and I was studying a lot of other stuff all the way up until I had to leave really. No caffeine and healthy eating the day before and the day of sounds like a good plan as well.

I can see where your anxiety would come from, it is frustrating and does make you nervous. Grades are important, but you have to believe in yourself that you'll do good even though you think you wont. Even when you look at the first problem and don't know what to do, go on try your best.

As for the annoying little mistakes, you need to stop combing multiple steps in your head (I do this too much too :p). A good example of when I screw up is when I take a limit, factor something, and multiply all in 1 step. Usually I end up with the wrong answer, but I'll notice it when I check over my test.

1. What is "Help! Tests are Hell: Overcoming Calculation Errors & Anxiety" about?

"Help! Tests are Hell: Overcoming Calculation Errors & Anxiety" is a book that provides strategies for overcoming anxiety and improving calculation skills to perform better on tests, particularly in math and science subjects.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for this book is students, particularly those in middle school, high school, and college, who struggle with anxiety and calculation errors on tests.

3. What types of strategies are included in the book?

The book includes a variety of strategies such as relaxation techniques, time management methods, and practice exercises to improve calculation skills. It also covers techniques for managing test anxiety and building confidence.

4. Is this book based on scientific research?

Yes, the strategies and techniques included in the book are based on scientific research on test anxiety and learning strategies. The author, a scientist, has also conducted their own research and experiments to develop these strategies.

5. Can this book be helpful for individuals with diagnosed anxiety disorders?

While this book may provide some helpful tips and techniques for managing test anxiety, it is not a substitute for professional medical or psychological treatment. Individuals with diagnosed anxiety disorders should seek the guidance of a healthcare professional for personalized support and treatment.