Solve x3-6x2+1=0: Find Real Numbers & Reasons

• Thread starter Shadowless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shadow
In summary, the equation x3-6x2+1=0 has 3 real solutions. This can be determined by analyzing the behavior of the function f(x)=x3-6x2+1 and its derivatives, using the Intermediate Value Theorem and the Mean Value Theorem. The function has one root in each interval of (-∞,0), (0,4), and (4,∞) due to the sign of its derivative and the continuity of the function. Therefore, there exists three real numbers that satisfy the equation.
Shadowless

Homework Statement

Determine how many real numbers satisfy the equation x3-6x2+1=0. Give reasons for your answer naming any theorems you use.

2. The attempt at a solution

let:f(x)=x3-6x2+1

→f'(x)=3x2-12x

for stationary points:f'(x)=0

→3x(x-4)=0

∴x=0 or x=4

to determine if minimum or maximum points:

f''(x)=6x-12

→f''(0)=-12<0

→f''(4)=12>0

∴(0,1) is a maximum point.

∴(4,-31) is a minimum point.

Not sure how to finish. I know it has 3 solutions, but I'm not sure as how to express my answer in the correct format. Help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shadowless said:

Homework Statement

Determine how many real numbers satisfy the equation x3-6x2+1=0. Give reasons for your answer naming any theorems you use.

2. The attempt at a solution

let:f(x)=x3-6x2+1

→f'(x)=3x2-12x

for stationary points:f'(x)=0

→3x(x-4)=0

∴x=0 or x=4

to determine if minimum or maximum points:

f''(x)=6x-12

→f''(0)=-12<0

→f''(4)=12>0

∴(0,1) is a maximum point.

∴(4,-31) is a minimum point.

Not sure how to finish. I know it has 3 solutions, but I'm not sure as how to express my answer in the correct format. Help?
Note: The above quote has been edited to reflect changes made by Shadowless after I initially posted the following. The following comments stand as originally submitted by me.

Hello Shadowless. Welcome to PF !

On what interval(s) is f'(x) positive?

On what interval(s) is f'(x) negative?

Last edited:
Glad to be here.

Hmm..

f'(x) is positive for x<0 or x>4
f'(x) is negative for 0<x<4

Yes?

Shadowless said:
Glad to be here.

Hmm..

f'(x) is positive for x<0 or x>4
f'(x) is negative for 0<x<4

Yes?
That should tell you something about the maximum number of roots that can exist in each interval: (-∞, 0), (0, 4), and (4, +∞) .

In addition to that, knowing f(0) and f(4) tells you something very definite about the number of roots between x=0 and x=4 .

Knowing the behavior of f as x → ±∞ will insure that you can find other places to evaluate f to definitely determine the number of roots.

Of course, we know that f(x) is continuous for x being any real number, right?

Can I just answer this question like this...

Limiting x to -∞, f(x) will approach -∞.

And as f(0)=1 and f'(x)>0 for (-∞,0) there exists only one root in the interval (-∞,0). [IVT]

As f(0)=1, f(4)=-31 and f'(x)<0 for (0,4) there exists only one root in the interval (0,4). [IVT]

Limiting x to ∞, f(x) will approach ∞.

And as f(4)=-31 and f'(x)>0 for (4,∞) there exists only one root in the interval (4,∞). [IVT]

∴ there exists three real numbers that will satisfy the equation.

Shadowless said:
Can I just answer this question like this...

Limiting x to -∞, f(x) will approach -∞.

And as f(0)=1 and f'(x)>0 for (-∞,0) there exists only one root in the interval (-∞,0). [IVT]

As f(0)=1, f(4)=-31 and f'(x)<0 for (0,4) there exists only one root in the interval (0,4). [IVT]

Limiting x to ∞, f(x) will approach ∞.

And as f(4)=-31 and f'(x)>0 for (4,∞) there exists only one root in the interval (4,∞). [IVT]

∴ there exists three real numbers that will satisfy the equation.

Yes, exactly. There will be one root in each of those intervals.

But would my answer be acceptable in the exam? Or would I need something further? I think I understand the question, it's just I sometimes fail to get my ideas across on paper and that is what worries me more.

Shadowless said:
But would my answer be acceptable in the exam? Or would I need something further? I think I understand the question, it's just I sometimes fail to get my ideas across on paper and that is what worries me more.

I wouldn't worry about it. Your answer is as complete and clear as anyone could wish for. You might want to mention that f(x) is continuous so you can apply the IVT, but that's all I can think of. If you want to go nuts then you could also say that the MVT proves there is only one root in each interval, but I think what you have is fine.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of solving x3-6x2+1=0?

The purpose of solving x3-6x2+1=0 is to find the real numbers or roots that satisfy the equation, which can then be used to graph the equation, factor it, or solve other related problems.

2. What are the steps to solve x3-6x2+1=0?

The steps to solve x3-6x2+1=0 are:
1. Write the equation in standard form: x3-6x2+1=0.
2. Identify the coefficients of the terms: a=1, b=-6, c=1.
3. Use the quadratic formula or factoring to find the roots of the equation.
4. Check the roots by substituting them back into the original equation.
5. Write the final solution in set notation or as real numbers.

3. Can this equation have more than one real solution?

Yes, x3-6x2+1=0 can have more than one real solution. In fact, it can have up to three real solutions, as it is a cubic equation.

4. What is the significance of finding real solutions to this equation?

Finding the real solutions to this equation allows us to understand the behavior and properties of the equation. It also helps us to graph the equation and make predictions about its behavior.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving x3-6x2+1=0?

Some real-world applications of solving x3-6x2+1=0 include predicting the growth or decay of populations, modeling the trajectory of a projectile, and understanding the behavior of chemical reactions.