1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help to identify 4 photographies

1. Dec 14, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Well, this is the first time I posted in English, so please excuse my expression.

The question is a kind of game. I have 50 pothographies about Optics (phenomens, experiments, people,...), but don't worry I only need help for 4. I have find de solution for 44 and there is 2 that I have some clue.

So, somebody can help me with this 4. Remenber, all them talk about optics (phenomen, experiment, instrument...). A lot of thanks

2. Relevant equations

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. The attempt at a solution

The thrid one is maybe a ion trap, and the last one is obviously something huge. A lot of thanks again.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2006 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The second one looks like the hologram on a credit card.

4. Dec 15, 2006 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first one looks like some type of telescope. Is it a spectroscope? You can't really get a good look at the left side (the opening and whatever is in front of it). The slit on the right would be for the viewer vs for light to enter?

I think most spectroscopes start with a traditional telescope and the back end of the telescope would be different instead of the front end, so I'm kind of shooting in the dark.

5. Dec 15, 2006 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The last one looked like a (small) inertial confinement fusion chamber under construction or maintenance, so I used google images to google inertial confinement fusion. The first results page had this link to the Trident facility, which looks like a pretty close match (a little hard to see in this image, but if you look for more Trident images, you can probably be sure):

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...al+confinement+fusion&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&sa=G

6. Dec 15, 2006 #5
    I think the first one is a schmidt-cassegrain telescope; the second is a section near the top right hand corner of a credit/debit card, likely framing also a hologram, a common feature on credit/debit cards; and the others I have no idea :P

7. Dec 15, 2006 #6
    The first one is most certainly a telescope, but I cannot say what type it is without knowing where the eye-piece holder is. For such large aperture, it is most probably a reflector or some sort cassegrain.

8. Dec 16, 2006 #7
    A lot of thanks to everybody.

The last one is "The Nova fusion laser" Thank you berkeman. The teache have told me that these one was the most dificult.

AlephZero, that was my first idea: holography. But the computer doesn't reconigze it. Maybe something more specific "esterholography" (it means nothing, it is only an exemple). Thanks anyway.

BobG, neutrino and alfredbase, Spectroscope doesn't work. Maybe is a specific kind of spectroscope? Some people told me about Schmidt-Cassegrein telescope. But it doesn't work. Unfortunally I haven't more information but the photo. Thanks for your try.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?