1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help to understand Lenz's law

1. Jun 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to see the relationship between the negative sign (Lenz's Law) in Faraday's law. It states that EMF is equal to negative flux change. I understand how to use Lenz's Law to find direction of current and hence EMF, but I am not seeing the relation between the neg sign and the EMF directly, that is, I understand it qualitatively, but not quantitatively in the context of the formula.

Flux and voltage are both scalar quantities, and they measure different things. So how can I geometrically interpret the negative in the formula? What would that mean?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] V= -\frac{d\Phi}{dt}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I draw up a diagram, and flux change is positive, then I know that EMF is negative in the loop. But how do I know which direction it is in? EMF could be measured both ways!

So I'm wondering whether or not the negative sign in Lenz's law simply serves a "qualitative" function, i.e. to let the reader know that it produces a current that opposes the flux change, rather than any computational significance? :P

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2015 #2
    The statement of Lenz' law is like this:

Whenever the magnetic flux associated with a closed coil changes, an EMF is induced in the loop, And the direction of the induced EMF is in such a manner that it tends to produce a current that opposes the change in magnetic flux produced it.

-ve sigh in mathematical equation corresponds to this statement.

I think the statement of Lenz's law solves your problem. By that statement you can find what direction current is and hence direction of EMF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted