Help Solve Amusement Park Wall of Death Problem

• Thread starter bulldog23
  • Start date
In summary, the wall of death in an amusement park is a spinning vertical cylinder that riders stand against. The floor falls away, leaving riders supported by friction. The tangential velocity needed to prevent slipping can be found by using the coefficient of static friction and the radius of the cylinder in the equation v^2=gr/u_s. This shows that mass does not affect the tangential velocity needed.
bulldog23
The wall of death in an amusement park is comprised of a vertical cylinder that can spin around the vertical axis. Riders stand against teh wall of teh spinning cylinder and the floor falls away leaving teh riders held up by friction. The radius of the cylinder is 3.9 m and the coefficent of static friction between the wall and the rider is .33. Find the tangential velocity so that the riders do not slip from the wall.

I know that tangential velocity equals V^2/r, but I am unsure how to get this only given the static friction and the radius. Can anyone help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well~ this is my outlook on things
1) tangental velocity is not equal to v^2/r, that's the centripetal acceleration
2) Draw a free body diagram
3) When you do, notice that mg is down, normal force is directed to the middle of the circle, and the frictional force must be directed up to prevent everyone from falling.
4) In order to prevent the riders from falling, the frictional force must support the weight of everyone
5) The change of F in the y direction is F_y = (u_s)(F_n) - mg = 0
the change of F in the x direction is F_x = F_n = mv^2/r
We know that force of friction is (u_s)(F_n) and that it equals mg from the above equation
6) (u_s)(mv^2/r) = mg
(u_s)(v^2/r) = g
v^2 = gr/u_s
We see that mass doesn't matter, which it shouldn't - think about it, everyone has different masses anyway
So just find the square root gr/u_s where u_s is .33 and r = 3.9 m and g = 9.8 m/s^2
:) Hope I helped, feel free to reply if you are still confused

alright, thanks. The part I couldn't figure out was the v^2=gr/u_s.

What is the "Wall of Death" problem at amusement parks?

The "Wall of Death" problem at amusement parks refers to the issue of riders experiencing excessive g-forces, leading to discomfort, injuries, and even death. This occurs when the speed or angle of the ride is not properly calibrated, causing riders to experience forces beyond what their bodies can handle.

What are the potential causes of the "Wall of Death" problem?

The "Wall of Death" problem can have various causes, including mechanical malfunctions, inadequate safety measures, human error in ride operation or maintenance, and design flaws in the ride itself.

How can the "Wall of Death" problem be solved?

The "Wall of Death" problem can be solved through a combination of thorough safety inspections, proper maintenance and repairs, and strict adherence to ride operation protocols. Additionally, implementing safety features such as seat belts, harnesses, and warning signs can also help prevent this issue.

What are some potential consequences of not addressing the "Wall of Death" problem?

If the "Wall of Death" problem is not addressed, it can lead to serious injuries and even fatalities among riders. This can also result in negative publicity and legal consequences for the amusement park, potentially leading to financial losses and damage to its reputation.

What steps can be taken to prevent the "Wall of Death" problem from occurring?

To prevent the "Wall of Death" problem, amusement parks should prioritize safety and regularly inspect and maintain their rides. This includes ensuring proper calibration of speed and angles, addressing any mechanical issues, and properly training ride operators. Installing additional safety features and conducting regular safety audits can also help prevent this issue from occurring.