Solve the Tough Question: Roof Tile Falling from a Building

• Thread starter nofear001
  • Start date
In summary, the tile falls from the roof and gains velocity as it falls. It reaches the top of the window at 0.2 seconds, and has a velocity of 6.038 m/s.
nofear001
Ive been working on this and its a little tough: Whats the answer?

A roof tile falls from rest from the top of a building. An observer inside the building notices that it takes 0.20s for the tile to pass her window whose size is 1.6m. How far above the top of this window is the roof?
(Hint: 2 calculations- Use uniform acceleration equations)

How am i suppose to do this?

a=9.81m/s^2 (im in Canada we use 9.81 not 9.8)
t= 0.20s
d= ?
Vi= 0m/s
Vf=?

Thxs

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: the initial velocity (that is, the velocity as it passes the top edge of the window) is not zero. You need to solve for this velocity, as it will tell you how far from the roof the top of the window is.

- Warren

but the rooftile falls from rest rest= 0m/s

is the answer 2.51 meters?

The roof tile is NOT AT REST when the observer first observes it.

First, it falls from the roof to the top of the window, gaining some velocity. Next, it falls past the window, which the observer times at 0.2 seconds.

Its velocity, when the observer first sees it, is NOT zero. You need to solve for this velocity first. You can then use it to solve for the height of the roof above the window.

- Warren

Heres the caluclations

s = 1.6 t= .2 a = g = 9.81 v =?
s = vt +at^2
and v turns out to be 6.038
well this is the velocity when it reached the point -lets say- x which is when observer first sees it. because it fell off the roof and traveled let's say distance d already...so...
d = (v^.5)/2g
= 1.86 m

i think that's pretty much it.

s = (1/2)gt^2

and

s+1.6 =(1/2)g(t+0.20)^2

think! and eliminate t.

M.P.

Not going to give an answer here but the working I would use seems to differ slightly from others, and arrives at a slightly different expression.

we know that distance = 1/2(inital velocity + final velocity) x time or...
s =1/2(u+v)t
we also know that velocity (v) = u + at
using substitution you can end up with an equation that involves only one variable...that is 'u'

1. What causes a roof tile to fall from a building?

There are several factors that can cause a roof tile to fall from a building, including strong winds, heavy rain or snow, structural damage, improper installation, or wear and tear over time.

2. How can I prevent roof tiles from falling off my building?

Regular maintenance and inspections of your roof can help identify any potential issues before they become a problem. Ensuring proper installation and using high-quality materials can also help prevent roof tiles from falling.

3. Is a falling roof tile dangerous?

Yes, a falling roof tile can be dangerous as it can cause injury to people and damage to property. It is important to address any issues with falling roof tiles promptly to avoid potential accidents.

4. Can I repair a fallen roof tile myself?

It is not recommended to repair a fallen roof tile yourself unless you have experience and knowledge in roofing. It is best to hire a professional to ensure the repair is done correctly and safely.

5. How much does it cost to fix a fallen roof tile?

The cost to fix a fallen roof tile can vary depending on the extent of the damage and the type of roof tile. On average, it can cost anywhere from $100 to $300 for a professional to repair a single roof tile.