1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help transposing formula

1. Jul 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I'm looking through Roarks Formulas for Stress and Strain and I am having difficulty following one of the examples. Unfortunately my maths isn't as good as I would like. Hopefully someone can explain to me the steps taken to find the solution.

2. Relevant equations

The book states the following expression:

4.4661/n - 2(2.331)1/n + 1 = 0

From this it finds n = 2.86, unfortunately only the answer is given an no explanation. Can someone help?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is no simple "algebraic" method to combine 4.4661/n and 2.3311/n so no simple "algebraic" method to solve that equation. You could do it graphically or using some numerical method such as Newton's method. And "2.86" is only an approximate solution, not exact.

4. Jul 15, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the solution of the problem *exactly as it is written*, Maple 14 gets n = 2.822595780, which rounds off to n ≈ 2.82 (NOT 2.86). If we assume, instead, that the equation should really by
    [tex] (67/15)^{1/n} - 2(7/3)^{1/n} + 1=0[/tex]
    the solution becomes n = 2.795724837, which rounds off to n ≈ 2.80 (again, NOT 2.86).

Note: Maple uses numerical methods to solve such equations.

5. Jul 15, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Roark is an old, old text which has several editions. When the equation in the OP was originally solved, the author (or one of his students) might have been using a slide rule or a set of log tables and counting on his fingers and toes.

6. Jul 16, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Hey, don't knock counting on your fingers and toes! I do it all the time.

7. Jul 16, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In binary, I trust?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted