Help undergrad freshman with GRE Physics, Mathematics, Graduate school plans

In summary, the speaker is a high school graduate who is starting an Electrical and Electronics Engineering course at a university they do not like. They are interested in renewable energy and plan to go to graduate school in the USA. They will need full funding and are planning to take GRE tests in Physics and Mathematics to make their application stand out. They are willing to work hard to maintain a high GPA, but also have concerns about their mental health and the lack of opportunities in their country. They are seeking advice on how to be successful in undergraduate level, the difficulty level of GRE Mathematics and Physics for non-Physics or Mathematics graduates, and what they can do in the next 4 and a half years to increase their chances of getting into competitive graduate schools
s-amir-9
Please read the essay it is relevant.

I just finished high school.. I am going to start Electrical and Electronics Engineering course in a crap university, I neither like the university nor the subject, but this is the best I can get as there is no other option in my country and I don't have sufficient savings to study abroad...

I want to go to graduate school (preferably top) in USA, I am interested in renewable energy, that's the field I will be aiming at... I am willing and motivated to do the hard work in the undergraduate level to keep my GPA among the top of the class and definitely above 3.8...

Apart from the fact that I am undertaking a degree from a very low ranking (5600+ world ranking) uni, I will also need full funding. ..

To make my application stand out I am planning to take GRE Physics and Mathematics subject tests apart from GRE reasoning test.. As my major will be in Engineering I don't think my uni courses will cover the GRE Physics and Mathematics syllabus, so apart from uni work I have to do a lot of Physics and Mathematics self teaching... I am comfortable with self teaching and I might have a few helping hands so I think it will be managable, I am very interested in Maths and Physics so I won't be doing it solely for the marks, I love to study Physics and Maths, If I had the choice I would major in Physics...

Sorry for the essay, but I think I needed to explain the whole situatioin,

#What would you suggest me to be successful in undergraduate level apart from hard work and keeping high GPA?

#What are GRE Mathematics and Physics like? How are they for non Physics or Mathematics graduates?

#I have about 4 and a half years before I graduate, what should I do to have the best shot at competative graduate schools with funding?

#What would you advice me to do?

#Is high school grades/gpa relevant to graduate school admission?
I have been suffering from depression for the last 12 months or so and I don't think I will achieve the grades I am capable of achieving.. The depression was academic related, it was because I couldn't get the best of undergraduate education because of money (there is hardly any scholarship that covers full costs at undergrad level), when all of my classmates have already got a place in USA/Canada/UK unis, academics was everything to me and after I came face to face with the reality I couldn't accept it, I felt like a failure, and it felt like I would never be able to fulfill my dreams...

Thank you.
(Sorry if I have posted in the wrong section, but I couldn't find a better forum section)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest you find a major you would enjoy doing for your working career and let someone else have this EE spot at the university. You will not do well if you don't like the subject matter.

RocketSci5KN said:
I would suggest you find a major you would enjoy doing for your working career and let someone else have this EE spot at the university. You will not do well if you don't like the subject matter.

There is no other science degree offered by the uni other than Computer Engineering, which I don't like, between EE and CE, I would go for EE...

Are you sure you've checked that not one of the universities in your country offers physics? I doubt that.

s-amir-9 said:
Please read the essay it is relevant.

I just finished high school.. I am going to start Electrical and Electronics Engineering course in a crap university, I neither like the university nor the subject, but this is the best I can get as there is no other option in my country and I don't have sufficient savings to study abroad...

I want to go to graduate school (preferably top) in USA, I am interested in renewable energy, that's the field I will be aiming at... I am willing and motivated to do the hard work in the undergraduate level to keep my GPA among the top of the class and definitely above 3.8...
I find your statements quite contradictory. On one hand you are saying you hate your university and EE and yet you wish to maintain a high grades. Its hard enough to maintain good grades even in one's choicest subjects.

Apart from the fact that I am undertaking a degree from a very low ranking (5600+ world ranking) uni, I will also need full funding. ..

Have you even bothered to check what factors universities consider for graduate applicants. Assuming you are planning to do PhD in Physics, in most cases, admission is offered only when funding is available, which is however quite competitive.

To make my application stand out I am planning to take GRE Physics and Mathematics subject tests apart from GRE reasoning test.. As my major will be in Engineering I don't think my uni courses will cover the GRE Physics and Mathematics syllabus, so apart from uni work I have to do a lot of Physics and Mathematics self teaching... I am comfortable with self teaching and I might have a few helping hands so I think it will be managable, I am very interested in Maths and Physics so I won't be doing it solely for the marks, I love to study Physics and Maths, If I had the choice I would major in Physics...

As others have pointed out, why study for a degree you are not interested in. Instead why don't you find a university programme strong in Physics and Maths, there will certainly be more opportunities for a Physics/Math career after graduation.

Sorry for the essay, but I think I needed to explain the whole situatioin,

#What would you suggest me to be successful in undergraduate level apart from hard work and keeping high GPA?

#What are GRE Mathematics and Physics like? How are they for non Physics or Mathematics graduates?

#I have about 4 and a half years before I graduate, what should I do to have the best shot at competative graduate schools with funding?

#What would you advice me to do?

I am sorry to say. This is starting to sound like you expect spoon feeding without making any efforts from your side. Check the minimum requirements for application to any graduate programme. That might answer many of your questions. There are many similar threads discussing the questions you have asked. Please go through them and make a proper decision on your career plans.

Reshma said:
I find your statements quite contradictory. On one hand you are saying you hate your university and EE and yet you wish to maintain a high grades. Its hard enough to maintain good grades even in one's choicest subjects.

Have you even bothered to check what factors universities consider for graduate applicants. Assuming you are planning to do PhD in Physics, in most cases, admission is offered only when funding is available, which is however quite competitive.

As others have pointed out, why study for a degree you are not interested in. Instead why don't you find a university programme strong in Physics and Maths, there will certainly be more opportunities for a Physics/Math career after graduation.

I am sorry to say. This is starting to sound like you expect spoon feeding without making any efforts from your side. Check the minimum requirements for application to any graduate programme. That might answer many of your questions. There are many similar threads discussing the questions you have asked. Please go through them and make a proper decision on your career plans.

I have no other choice, I have to maintain high grades in order to move forward, in any case, the first 4 semester will be mostly Maths and Physics...

I didn't know that admission is only offered when the funding is available. The uni websites I checked didn't say anything like that..

Only public universities here offer Physics and Mathematics, private universities only offer Computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering as the accreditation board doesn't give permission for other science subjects (this rule is general for all private unis)..
I undertook British curriculum school so I can't apply to Public Universities... As I said EE is the best option I have... I want to do graduate studies in renewable energy..

I just want advice from experienced members here.. I am asking for advice early on so that I have a better chance..
Thanks..

1. What are some tips for preparing for the GRE Physics and Mathematics exams?

Some tips for preparing for these exams include practicing with sample questions, reviewing fundamental concepts, and familiarizing yourself with the exam format. It's also helpful to create a study schedule and stick to it.

2. How can I improve my chances of getting into a top graduate school for Physics or Mathematics?

Aside from achieving a high score on the GRE exams, it's important to have a strong academic record, participate in research projects, and obtain letters of recommendation from professors or mentors. It can also be beneficial to attend conferences and present your work to demonstrate your passion for the field.

3. Is it necessary to take additional coursework or classes in preparation for graduate school?

While it's not necessary, taking advanced courses in areas that interest you can demonstrate your dedication and passion for the subject. It can also help strengthen your application and provide a deeper understanding of the material covered in graduate school.

4. Are there any specific strategies for tackling the GRE Physics and Mathematics exams?

Some strategies for tackling these exams include reading the questions carefully, eliminating obviously incorrect answers, and utilizing process of elimination when unsure. It's also helpful to pace yourself and not spend too much time on a single question.

5. How important is the GRE score in the graduate school admissions process?

The importance of the GRE score varies among different graduate programs. While a high score can certainly strengthen your application, it's not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Your academic record, research experience, and letters of recommendation are also significant factors in the admissions process.