Understanding Spring Length in the Center-of-Mass Frame

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary, the author wanted to do things in the center-of-mass frame, and so they used the equation with the vector to point b being the sum of the vector to the C.M. and the vector displacement of point b from the C.M.
Saitama
This isn't an homework question. I am trying to understand a solved example in my book. I have attached the solved example.

I am stuck at the point when it says that the instantaneous length of the spring is ##r_a-r_b-l=r_a'-r_b'-l##. I can't figure out how the author got the RHS of the equation. Shouldn't it be ##r_a'+r_b'-l##?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• two blocks and spring 1.png
    two blocks and spring 1.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 439
  • two blocks and spring 2.png
    two blocks and spring 2.png
    31 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you get
r'a + r'b - L ??

I get the same answer as the book does

It follows from the definition that ## r_a - r_b = r_a' - r_b' ##.

However, it is not correct to call ## r_a - r_b - l ## the instantaneous length of the string. The instantaneous length is ## r_a - r_b ##, and ## r_a - r_b - l ## is the instantaneous change in the length.

voko said:
It follows from the definition that ## r_a - r_b = r_a' - r_b' ##.

Why did the author define ##r_b'=r_b-R##? Why not ##r_b'=R-r_b##? From the figure, this looks to me the correct equation.

Pranav-Arora said:
Why did the author define ##r_b'=r_b-R##? Why not ##r_b'=R-r_b##? From the figure, this looks to me the correct equation.

Because the author wanted to to do things in the center-of-mass frame, with all the distances measured from the C. M. This is plain if you consider all this in the vector form: ## \vec{r}_b = \vec{R} + \vec{r}_b' ##, the vector to point b is the sum of the vector to the C. M. and the vector displacement of point b from the C. M.

voko said:
Because the author wanted to to do things in the center-of-mass frame, with all the distances measured from the C. M. This is plain if you consider all this in the vector form: ## \vec{r}_b = \vec{R} + \vec{r}_b' ##, the vector to point b is the sum of the vector to the C. M. and the vector displacement of point b from the C. M.

Thanks a lot voko! :smile:

1. What is the purpose of using examples in scientific research?

Examples are used in scientific research to help clarify concepts and theories. They provide tangible evidence and real-life applications of abstract ideas, making them easier to understand and remember.

2. How can I effectively analyze and interpret an example in a scientific study?

To analyze and interpret an example in a scientific study, it's important to first understand the context and background of the example. Then, carefully examine the data and any accompanying graphs or charts. Finally, consider how the example fits into the overall research and what conclusions can be drawn from it.

3. Are there any limitations to using examples in scientific research?

Yes, there are limitations to using examples in scientific research. Examples are often specific cases and may not accurately represent the entire population or phenomenon being studied. They can also be biased or influenced by external factors, so it's important to consider multiple examples and sources.

4. Can examples be used in all areas of scientific research?

Yes, examples can be used in all areas of scientific research. They are especially useful in fields such as biology, chemistry, and psychology, where tangible evidence and real-life applications are important for understanding complex concepts.

5. How can I find reliable and relevant examples for my research?

To find reliable and relevant examples for your research, start by consulting reputable sources such as scientific journals and textbooks. You can also search for case studies or experiments that have been conducted by reputable researchers in your field. Additionally, you can gather your own examples through experiments or surveys, but be sure to follow proper scientific methods and procedures.