1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help understanding an example

1. Feb 21, 2013 #1
    This isn't an homework question. I am trying to understand a solved example in my book. I have attached the solved example.

I am stuck at the point when it says that the instantaneous length of the spring is ##r_a-r_b-l=r_a'-r_b'-l##. I can't figure out how the author got the RHS of the equation. Shouldn't it be ##r_a'+r_b'-l##?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2013 #2
    How do you get
    r'a + r'b - L ??

I get the same answer as the book does

4. Feb 21, 2013 #3
    It follows from the definition that ## r_a - r_b = r_a' - r_b' ##.

However, it is not correct to call ## r_a - r_b - l ## the instantaneous length of the string. The instantaneous length is ## r_a - r_b ##, and ## r_a - r_b - l ## is the instantaneous change in the length.

5. Feb 23, 2013 #4
    Why did the author define ##r_b'=r_b-R##? Why not ##r_b'=R-r_b##? From the figure, this looks to me the correct equation.

6. Feb 23, 2013 #5
    Because the author wanted to to do things in the center-of-mass frame, with all the distances measured from the C. M. This is plain if you consider all this in the vector form: ## \vec{r}_b = \vec{R} + \vec{r}_b' ##, the vector to point b is the sum of the vector to the C. M. and the vector displacement of point b from the C. M.

7. Feb 23, 2013 #6
    Thanks a lot voko! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook