Understanding the Determinant of the Product of Two 2x2 Matrices

• Thread starter ilikephysics
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove that the determinant of the product of two general 2x2 matrices is the product of their determinants. To prove this, the person suggests using two matrices, (1) and (2), and multiplying them together to get a product matrix with elements 12, 15, 26, and 33. They then explain that the determinant of the product matrix is six, and the determinants of the original matrices are -2 and -3. By multiplying -2 and -3, they prove that the determinant of the product of the two matrices is the product of their determinants. The other person suggests using letters instead of numbers to make the proof more general, but agrees that
ilikephysics
What is the following question asking?

Question:

Prove that the determinant of the product of two general 2x2 matrces is the product of their determinants.

What I think is that I should come up with two 2x2 matrices.
1 2 2 3 12 15
3 4 and 5 6 multiply them together and get 26 33

The determinant of the product matrix is six. The determinat of the first matrix is -2 and the second one is -3. Multiply -2 times -3 and that is 6. So I proved that the determinant of the product of the two matrices is the product of their determinants.

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
here are the matrices

1 2 (1)
3 4

2 3
5 6 (2)

12 15
26 33 (product matrix)

Originally posted by ilikephysics
What I think is that I should come up with two 2x2 matrices.
1 2 2 3 12 15
3 4 and 5 6 multiply them together and get 26 33
Is this right?
You should probably be more general (let the elements be letters instead of numbers, and then show it). It looks like you've got the right idea, though.

1. What is the purpose of asking for help in understanding a question?

The purpose of asking for help in understanding a question is to seek clarification and gain a better understanding of the topic being discussed. It allows for a deeper comprehension of the subject matter and can help to improve problem-solving skills.

2. How can I effectively ask for help in understanding a question?

To effectively ask for help in understanding a question, it is important to be specific about what you are struggling with and provide as much information as possible. This can include the context of the question, any relevant background information, and what you have already tried to understand the question.

3. Is it okay to ask for help in understanding a question multiple times?

Yes, it is completely acceptable to ask for help in understanding a question multiple times. Everyone learns at their own pace and it is important to seek clarification as needed in order to fully comprehend the material.

4. How can I avoid feeling embarrassed or ashamed when asking for help in understanding a question?

Remember that asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness. It shows that you are willing to learn and improve. It is also important to create a supportive and non-judgmental environment when seeking help from others.

5. Are there any resources available to help me understand a question?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you understand a question. These can include textbooks, online tutorials, study groups, and asking for help from a teacher or tutor. It is important to explore different resources and find what works best for you.