Help understanding theory of Charge distribution

In summary: So then would I be right in the sense that the conductors would become equally charged? I find it hard believing that the potential OUTSIDE the conductors would be equal so I think that viewpoint is wrong.Just outside the conductors, the potential must be the same everywhere.
eps1lon
Hi everyone I am very new here so please don' be too harsh with me :shy: I hope I posted this in the right section. If I haven't, then please accept my apologies and can a mod please kindly move my post to the appropriate section?

Im taking a very basic physics class atm and I was having trouble understanding some theory behind the unit we are on right now (Gauss' law/capacitors/charges/potentials).

Yesterday my teacher left us with a question to think about and I'm having difficulty understanding the reasoning behind it. He asked that if there's two unequal charged conductors and they're brought into contact w/ each other, the charge will redistribute betw/ the two conductors in a fashion that...

Now, I think that they would become equally charged but one of my other friends brought up the point that the potential inside each conductor is the same and I'm not sure whether or not he's right. Anyone know what the correct answer to this abstract question?

As well, would someone please explain to me (if I'm wrong) if it could be possible that the field outside conductor 1 might be the same as the field outside conductor 2?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would the electric potential of each conductor be the same? Potential is dependent on q, which is not the same in each conductor.

Feldoh said:
Why would the electric potential of each conductor be the same? Potential is dependent on q, which is not the same in each conductor.

If the potential was not the same, there would be an electric field at the place where the conductors are connected and a current would flow until the conductors were at the same potential.

kamerling said:
If the potential was not the same, there would be an electric field at the place where the conductors are connected and a current would flow until the conductors were at the same potential.

So then would I be right in the sense that the conductors would become equally charged? I find it hard believing that the potential OUTSIDE the conductors would be equal so I think that viewpoint is wrong.

Just outside the conductors, the potential must be the same everywhere. but the electric field can be different.
If you have two spheres of unequal size, and you connect them with a wire, the spheres will have the same potential, but the electric field outside of the smaller sphere will be bigger.

1. What is charge distribution?

Charge distribution refers to the arrangement of electric charges within a given system or object. It is the way in which positive and negative charges are distributed throughout a material or space.

2. Why is understanding charge distribution important?

Understanding charge distribution is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of electric fields and the movement of charges. It is also essential in the design and operation of electronic devices.

3. How is charge distribution related to Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them. Charge distribution affects this force as it determines the strength and direction of the electric field, which in turn affects the force between the two objects.

4. What factors can affect charge distribution?

Charge distribution can be affected by the size and shape of an object, the material it is made of, and the presence of other charges or conductors nearby. It can also be influenced by the strength and direction of external electric fields.

5. How can we visualize charge distribution?

Charge distribution can be visualized using diagrams or models that show the arrangement of charges within an object or system. These can include electric field lines, charge density maps, or 3D representations. Computer simulations can also be used to visualize and analyze charge distribution in more complex systems.