Is This Cubic Equation Solvable?

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
In summary, to solve a polynomial equation, you can use the Rational Root Theorem to find possible rational roots and then test each root using synthetic division or the remainder theorem. If one root works, you can use polynomial long division or the quadratic formula to find the remaining roots. The quadratic formula cannot be used for cubic equations, such as x^3 + 3x^2 + 9x + 3 = 0. There is no shortcut for solving equations, and each equation may require a different method. Even if rewritten in a different form, the quadratic formula cannot be used to solve cubic equations. This equation has three solutions, but some may be complex numbers. The number of distinct real roots can be determined using the discrimin
marlon
Can anyone solve the following equation ?

x^3 + 3x^2 +9x + 3 = 0

I don't find it

regards
marlon

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Muzza said:
It doesn't appear to have any integer solutions, so you'll probably have to use the ugly cubic formula to get a (non-approximated) answer.

http://www.math.vanderbilt.edu/~schectex/courses/cubic/

OK? THANKS A LOT

marlon

-1.312+2.5087i
-1.312-2.5087i

=)

1. How do I solve this polynomial equation?

To solve this polynomial equation, you can use the Rational Root Theorem to find possible rational roots. Then, use synthetic division or the remainder theorem to test each root until you find one that works. Once you have found one root, you can use polynomial long division or the quadratic formula to find the remaining roots.

2. Can I use the quadratic formula to solve this equation?

No, the quadratic formula can only be used for equations in the form ax^2 + bx +c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants. This equation, x^3 + 3x^2 + 9x + 3 = 0, is a cubic equation and requires a different method to solve.

3. Is there a shortcut to solve this equation?

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut to solve this equation. Each equation may have a different method of solving, and it is important to understand the underlying principles and use them accordingly.

4. Can I use the quadratic formula if I rewrite the equation as x^3 + 3x^2 + 9x = -3?

No, even if you rewrite the equation in this form, it is still a cubic equation and cannot be solved using the quadratic formula. You would still need to use the appropriate method for solving cubic equations.

5. How many solutions does this equation have?

This equation has three solutions, as it is a cubic equation. However, some solutions may be complex numbers. To find the exact number of real solutions, you can use the discriminant to determine the number of distinct real roots.