Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help using FortranCL

1. Nov 1, 2014 #1
    Hi!

I wanted to ask if anybody here has any experience with FortranCL, the Fortran implementation of OpenCL.

If so, I would be really thankful if you could help me in setting up the programming environment to use it. So far, I downloaded the MinGW compilers for fortran and c, and the latest release of fortranCL:

https://code.google.com/p/fortrancl/downloads/detail?name=fortrancl-0.1alpha4.tar.gz&can=2&q=

I'm not really sure what to do with the files contained in the above package. The readme says to open up the command prompt and type in `./configure' as a first step, but I get the error '.' not recognized as an internal or external command...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Tusike

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

First are you in the proper directory ie it should have a file named configure and second you need to type ./configure with no spaces between the . the slash and then configure.

Try it now.

4. Nov 1, 2014 #3
    Hi!
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I am in the proper directory, and there is a file named 'configure', no extension.
    I'm using Windows 7, but I read that fortranCL should work there too. I hope that's not the problem.

upload_2014-11-1_21-21-41.png

5. Nov 1, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

On the command line, just type configure, without the . and /. If that doesn't work, it's most likely because configure isn't an executable file.

6. Nov 1, 2014 #5
    Disclaimer: I have never used Fortrancl

I see you are working on Windows...

Have you ever written and compiled a Fortran program in Windows? I ask this because it seems to me that you may have just downloaded MinGW and probably don't know how to use it....?

The thing is that I suspect that such "./configure" command that you are supposed to run it is supposed to be run from within the "Linux-like" environment of the "msys" prompt command that came with MinGW....and NOT the DOS terminal that you show in your screenshot.

7. Nov 2, 2014 #6
    Yes, you are perfectly right that I don't really know how to use MinGW. (I am able to use it to compile fortran code in windows though).

I didn't know about MSYS, and I didn't include it when installing MinGW. But now I installed it as well, and the ./configure command is working!

My next step is to install the openCL tools FortranCL uses; I believe to do that I just have to download the SDK package from Intel's site (I have Intel HD Graphics 3000), the first two from here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers

If I run into any other problems I will ask them again here.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

-Tusike

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook