Troubleshooting Webcam Software Infection

In summary, the conversation is about a person's problem with using their webcam and how to fix it. The person suggests uninstalling the webcam software, clearing the Java cache, and posting a HijackThis log on a computer forum in order to find someone who can help.
AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I bought a webcam Wednesday, and now I can't get into the software to use the webcam, although I could get in the previous two days. I ran a virus scan, and the scan identified a file:

C:\Documents and Settings\Family\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\a.jar-228d5c98-3b97e70e.zip

as the one infected. It identified the infection as:

Java.ByteVerify!exploit

there's some info about it here:

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/search.aspx?pst=Java.ByteVerify!exploit&ad=0

Any idea about what to do? Can I just delete this zip file? Is there some way I can force my virus scanner to quarantine or delete the infection? Right now, it just displays that the file is infected and does nothing about it. My antivirus program is eTrust EZAntivirus, the webcam is a Creative product. It says that the infected file was last modified yesterday afternoon, when my dad would have been looking at emails and searching the web for fridges or something like that.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?ID=36725

sounds like the program should delete it by itself. If not, just delte it

I don't know much about eTrust EZAntivirus, but I use Norton Security at home and MacAfee ASaP at work. Both filtering incoming files from the internet, and both have been effective in killing viruses.

If the Antivirus doesn't delete it, then you will have to delete it yourself, and then empty trash.

Also, you might wish to check all files created or save in the last 24 or 48 hrs noting where they are located. If anything is suspicious, check it out.

Also, look at add/remove programs to see if there is something installed that should not be.

As a last check, I would look at the registry file to see if any new stuff is there. However, if you are not familiar with the registry file, don't touch it.

probably your father opened something in an email he shouldn't have

No, I don't think he opened any e-mails like that. Is it possible that the webcam had anything to do with it? As far as I could tell, it was the only thing that wasn't working. Basically, when you tried to open any of the webcam programs, just nothing would happen. It wouldn't start to load or anything. Thanks for your help guys.

haha man I had the same problem...annoying buggers.
Anyway this is what I did for a quick short-term/permanent solution:

Sun Java:
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Java Plug-in > Cache
Click on the folder next to the location bar to choose the particular folder. The folder you want to choose is your 'jar' file
Once you select that, clear it and all should be fine with a bit of luck.

If that doesn't work and you have more annoying javabyte viruses then try these online scans:

http://www.pandasoftware.com/active...n_principal.htm
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

If that doesn't work then you might just want to try a Hijackthis Log.
When you download Hijackthis and create a log DO NOT press "Fix" just copy that log and paste it onto notepad and save.
Then go to a computer forum, such as, http://castlecops.com/ and post that log in the "Hijack log" section of the forum.
It might take a while for someone to get to it because it is a pretty arduous task to sort out which files aren't meant to be in the log. They will post back telling you what you can "fix" when you next run HijackThis and that should solve all your problems.
Note that blindly fixing stuff in your hijack log by yourself is like going into your registry and deleting files at random so don't do it.

Like I said though try the other two suggestions first though, because the Hijack suggestion takes a little while and it's a lot of effort for both parties.

Hope that helps

AKG said:
No, I don't think he opened any e-mails like that. Is it possible that the webcam had anything to do with it? As far as I could tell, it was the only thing that wasn't working. Basically, when you tried to open any of the webcam programs, just nothing would happen. It wouldn't start to load or anything. Thanks for your help guys.
From the site Pengwino linked to, it sounds like you (or your father) could have picked it up from a corrupted website somehow.

You might want to try uninstalling the webcam software until you fix the problems you're having and are sure you have a clean computer, then reinstall it.

Moonbear said:
You might want to try uninstalling the webcam software until you fix the problems you're having and are sure you have a clean computer, then reinstall it.
Moonie, my darling, you disappoint me. The proper response, of course, is "Trash that Windows-burning piece of crap and buy a Mac!" :tongue:

ahh come on windows isn't that bad :)
AKG doesn't really need to uninstall what he has installed 'cause it's just a trojan so it's not going to really affect any files on his computer...unless someone from the 'outside' wants to stuff with his computer, but that's not likely.

Kakarot, that's the wrong fix. The real fix is HERE

dduardo said:
Kakarot, that's the wrong fix. The real fix is HERE

lmao maybe if you want a weaker computer or one that can run 1% of the software in the world :rofl:

i used to use a mac back in the day and i liked it a lot but then i got into games and macs are worthless for gaming

What is a webcam software infection?

A webcam software infection is a type of malware that infects the software used to operate a webcam, allowing hackers to gain access to the webcam and potentially spy on the user.

How can I tell if my webcam software is infected?

Some common signs of a webcam software infection include a slow or unresponsive webcam, unexpected pop-ups or advertisements, and unusual webcam activity such as turning on by itself or moving without user input.

What should I do if I suspect my webcam software is infected?

If you suspect your webcam software is infected, the best course of action is to immediately stop using your webcam and run a full virus scan on your computer. If the scan detects any malware, follow the recommended steps to remove it.

How can I prevent a webcam software infection?

To prevent a webcam software infection, it is important to regularly update your webcam software and operating system, as well as install reputable antivirus and anti-malware software. Additionally, be cautious when clicking on links or downloading files from unknown sources, as these can be potential sources of malware.

Is it possible to recover from a webcam software infection?

In most cases, it is possible to recover from a webcam software infection by removing the malware and updating your software. However, if sensitive information was accessed or compromised, it is important to take additional steps such as changing passwords and monitoring for any suspicious activity.

Back