1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help w/ 1 more limit

1. Dec 16, 2004 #1
    lim as x approaches 0 from the right of x^(tan(x))

I took the ln and got tan(x)ln(x), then made it ln(x)/(1/tan(x)) which = ln(x)/(cot(x)) and I could use L' Hospital's rule. I got (1/x)/(csc^2(x)) and made that (1/x)/(1/sin^2(x)). I then made that sin^2(x)/x and used L' Hospital's rule again to get the lim as x approaches 0 from the right of 2cos(x) which = 2. Am I right or wrong? :/

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2004 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've made at least one mistake.

4. Dec 16, 2004 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

0^0 is not 1. :tongue2: It's an indeterminate form.

5. Dec 16, 2004 #4
    Write [tex]L=\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} x^{\tan x}[/tex].
    Then [tex] \log L =\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \tan x\log x = \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\tan x}{\log x}= 0
    [/tex]
    So L = e^0 = 1. There is no use for L'Hopitals rule here.

6. Dec 16, 2004 #5
    0/0 is another indeterminate form. When you took the derivative of sin^2 x, you messed up (as well as forgot a negative sign which doesnt effect it). So instead of your top going to 2 it should go to 0.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  7. Dec 16, 2004 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

U've written something wrong.
    Limit and logaritm commute.Use this property to show that:
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \ln(x^{\tan x}) = \lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\tan x\ln x [/tex]

I hope u can show that the logaritm of the limit is zero,and hence the initial limit is 1.

Daniel.

8. Dec 16, 2004 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not to perform any differentiations on the sine squared use this trick
    [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} =1 [/tex].

Daniel.

9. Dec 16, 2004 #8
    Also I am not sure that you know that when you take the ln of this, you need to take the ln of the other side of the equals sign. So just assume that it equals y, then the answer is ln y = 0, which would be 1.

10. Dec 16, 2004 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Which other side??Of course u apply logarithm on the both sides of the equation:
    [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} x^{\tan x} = L [/tex]
    ,where L is the limit and is the unknown.When u take logarithm,u should be stating:
    [tex] \ln L=...=0 [/tex]
    ,from where u get your result...

Daniel.

11. Dec 16, 2004 #10
    ... my comment was directed to the original poster as he said he got an answer of 2 and assumed that was the final answer. Which would not be the case even if 2 was what the right side came out to be due to the fact he took the log of the problem in the first step.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?