Maximum Speed Formula for Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary, the conversation is about a problem related to simple harmonics involving proving the maximum speed of a mass on a spring. The formulas related to this unit are provided, but the person is struggling to rearrange them to find the answer. They are unsure if they need to use calculus or trigonometry to solve the problem. The conversation ends with the suggestion to start with the energy equation and try to find the amplitude.
roughneck84
I have been torturing myself with this problem for a couple weeks now and I am stumped. The unit I am working on is called simple harmonics. The question is:
Prove that the maximum speed (Vmax) of a mass on a spring is given by 2(pi)fA
I am guessing that the question wants me to re-arrange one of the formulas that was learned in this chapter but i am just lost.

Here are the formulas related to this unit.
Fx = -kx , W=1/2kx^2, T=[2(pi)r] / v , Et = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2, f = 1/2(pi) sq_rt(k/m)
or f = 1/2(pi) sq_rt a/-x

Please any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
OK. First off are you in a calculus based course? I ask because this can be proved in one to two lines with calculus.

somewhat. we learned trigonomic method. cosine law and pathagorean theorem

anyone ??

Do you know how to take a derivative?

If not, then try starting the problem this way:

Start with your energy equation:

Et = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2

First, try to get Et in terms of the wave's amplitude.

After this, fill in all the information for when v=v_max. Can you take it from here? If not, show me how far you can get.

Last edited:

1. What are harmonics formulas?

Harmonics formulas are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between the fundamental frequency and the overtones of a sound. They are used in physics and acoustics to understand and predict the frequencies of sound waves produced by different instruments.

2. How are harmonics formulas used?

Harmonics formulas are used to calculate the frequencies of the overtones produced by a vibrating object, such as a guitar string or a tuning fork. They are also used to analyze the harmonics present in a complex sound wave, such as those produced by musical instruments.

3. Are there different types of harmonics formulas?

Yes, there are different types of harmonics formulas depending on the type of vibrating object and the type of sound wave being analyzed. Some common types include the Fourier series, the Helmholtz equation, and the wave equation.

4. What is the relationship between harmonics and musical notes?

Harmonics are closely related to musical notes, as they are the frequencies that make up a musical sound. The fundamental frequency corresponds to the pitch of the note, while the overtones contribute to the timbre and tone quality of the sound.

5. How can I use harmonics formulas in my own research or experiments?

If you are studying acoustics or music, harmonics formulas can be used to calculate the frequencies of sound waves in different scenarios. They can also be used to analyze and compare the harmonics present in different instruments or to create new sounds with specific harmonic structures.