1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help w/ limit

1. Dec 13, 2004 #1
    lim as x approaches 1 of x raised to the quantity 1/1-x. When I first did it, I got 1 as my answer, but I have a strong feeling the answer is 0 also. I don't know how to get it, however. 1 raised to any power is 1, that is where I got the answer 1 from.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2004 #2
    try l'hopital's rule. take ln of your function, then find the limit, then exponentiate to undo the ln

edit: the answer i got is 1/e

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  4. Dec 13, 2004 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I got infinity as the answer :grumpy:.

[tex]x^{\frac{1}{1-x}} = e^{\frac{lnx}{1-x}}[/tex]

And

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{lnx}{1-x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{1}{x(1-x)^2} = \infty [/tex]

5. Dec 13, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How did you get
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{lnx}{1-x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{1}{x(1-x)^2} = \infty [/tex]
    ?
    Using L'Hopital, you would take the limit of [itex]\frac{1/x}{-1}[/itex] as x-> 1 which is -1. The limit of [itex]x^{\frac{1}{1-x}}[/itex] is e-1 as fourierjr said.

6. Dec 13, 2004 #5
    That makes sense... I never even thought yo take the ln of x or use L. Hospital's rule. Thanks guys

7. Dec 13, 2004 #6
    You dont have to use L'Hopital

look closely to your limit

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{\log x}{1-x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{\log x-\log 1}{1-x}[/tex]

wich is the definition of the derivative of [itex]-\log x[/itex] evaluated in [itex]1[/itex] so its obvious than the limit is [itex]-1[/itex].

Much more elegant dont you think?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  8. Dec 14, 2004 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not than my version :approve:
    [tex] lim_{x\rightarrow 1} x^{\frac{1}{1-x}} =lim_{y\rightarrow 0} (1-y)^{\frac{1}{y}}=\frac{1}{e} [/tex]
    ,where i made use of a simple substituion... :tongue2: and of a very known limit. :wink:

Daniel.

9. Dec 14, 2004 #8
    nice and simple !!

10. Dec 14, 2004 #9
    hey Daniel, can you remind me of how

[tex]\lim_{y\rightarrow 0} (1-y)^{\frac{1}{y}}[/tex]

is calculated???? too lazy to open my book :P

11. Dec 14, 2004 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Kay,i'll make an exception:
    [tex]\lim_{y\rightarrow 0}(1-y)^{\frac{1}{y}}=\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty}(1-\frac{1}{x})^{x} =\frac{1}{e} [/tex]

Daniel.

12. Dec 14, 2004 #11
    Nice solution, dextercioby!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?