Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help w/ phone jack adapter

1. Mar 31, 2009 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

My cordless phone (No not a cell phone, this is a landline. They still exist, you young whippersnappers.) worked with a head set thus:
    http://www.maxiaids.com/ProdImages/9700750.jpg [Broken]
    which has a 2.5mm jack. (It looks like a stereo jack i.e. three contacts but of course, it won't be stereo, it will be speaker and mic)

I wanted a smaller, lighter headset so I bought something like this:
    419083H1JVL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Problem is, it has two jacks (one for speaker, one for mic, colour-coded pink and green) and they are 3.5mm (and also three contacts).

I don't have a problem converting from 3.5 to 2.5, my difficulty is converting from single connector to this double connector. Clearly I can't simply use a Y-connector, since all that will do is feed the speaker and mic lines into each other.

Is there an adapter like what I'm looking for? What can I do?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2009 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

They didn't sell a headset compatible with your phone?

4. Mar 31, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Chop the 2.5mm 3way off the old headset and solder it to the wires on the new headset?

5. Mar 31, 2009 #4
    the new headset is for a PC. On most sound cards, the inputs are also colour coded (pink and green) for mic and head phone 3.5mm jacks. This headset, as far as I can tell, was not intended to be used with a landline telephone. Using an adapter won't cut it I don't think. Still got the receipt? :wink:

6. Mar 31, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see why not, the microphone is going to be a standard electret and the headphones are all the same.

ps. the 2.5mm plug is normally microphone on the tip, then headphone then ground.

http://ca.geocities.com/mstudi@rogers.com/retro.html [Broken]

7. Mar 31, 2009 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

They do but not the type I wanted. I was optimistic about thinking it would be a simple matter of finding the right adapter.

Thank you. That is exactly what I needed. (Failing finding a pre-made store-bought one that is...)

OK, only one issue left. The green/pink connectors are also 3 contacts, which means I have one contact each too many. Why would a mic connector have three contacts? And why would a single earpiece have three contacts?

8. Mar 31, 2009 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Either there are two microphones - one facing toward you and one away so it can do noise cancellation - OR they used stereo plugs because they are more common and cheaper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook