Help w/ phone jack adapter

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Adapter
In summary: The green/pink connectors are also 3 contacts, which means I have one contact each too many. Why would a mic connector have three contacts? And why would a single earpiece have three contacts?Either there are two microphones - one facing toward you and one away so it can do noise cancellation - OR they used stereo plugs because they are more common and cheaper.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
My cordless phone (No not a cell phone, this is a landline. They still exist, you young whippersnappers.) worked with a head set thus:
http://www.maxiaids.com/ProdImages/9700750.jpg [Broken]
which has a 2.5mm jack. (It looks like a stereo jack i.e. three contacts but of course, it won't be stereo, it will be speaker and mic)

I wanted a smaller, lighter headset so I bought something like this:
419083H1JVL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Problem is, it has two jacks (one for speaker, one for mic, colour-coded pink and green) and they are 3.5mm (and also three contacts).

I don't have a problem converting from 3.5 to 2.5, my difficulty is converting from single connector to this double connector. Clearly I can't simply use a Y-connector, since all that will do is feed the speaker and mic lines into each other.

Is there an adapter like what I'm looking for? What can I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
They didn't sell a headset compatible with your phone?

Chop the 2.5mm 3way off the old headset and solder it to the wires on the new headset?

the new headset is for a PC. On most sound cards, the inputs are also colour coded (pink and green) for mic and head phone 3.5mm jacks. This headset, as far as I can tell, was not intended to be used with a landline telephone. Using an adapter won't cut it I don't think. Still got the receipt? :wink:

redargon said:
This headset, as far as I can tell, was not intended to be used with a landline telephone. Using an adapter won't cut it I don't think. Still got the receipt? :wink:
I don't see why not, the microphone is going to be a standard electret and the headphones are all the same.

ps. the 2.5mm plug is normally microphone on the tip, then headphone then ground.

http://ca.geocities.com/mstudi@rogers.com/retro.html [Broken]

They didn't sell a headset compatible with your phone?
They do but not the type I wanted. I was optimistic about thinking it would be a simple matter of finding the right adapter.

mgb_phys said:
I don't see why not, the microphone is going to be a standard electret and the headphones are all the same.

ps. the 2.5mm plug is normally microphone on the tip, then headphone then ground.

http://ca.geocities.com/mstudi@rogers.com/retro.html [Broken]

Thank you. That is exactly what I needed. (Failing finding a pre-made store-bought one that is...)

OK, only one issue left. The green/pink connectors are also 3 contacts, which means I have one contact each too many. Why would a mic connector have three contacts? And why would a single earpiece have three contacts?

DaveC426913 said:
Why would a mic connector have three contacts? And why would a single earpiece have three contacts?
Either there are two microphones - one facing toward you and one away so it can do noise cancellation - OR they used stereo plugs because they are more common and cheaper.

1. How do I know if I need a phone jack adapter?

To determine if you need a phone jack adapter, check the type of phone you have. If you have an older phone with a larger plug, you will likely need an adapter to fit into newer phone jacks which are smaller. You can also check the specifications of your phone to see if it is compatible with newer phone jacks.

2. Where can I purchase a phone jack adapter?

You can purchase a phone jack adapter at most electronics stores, such as Best Buy or Fry's, or online through retailers like Amazon or eBay. Make sure to check the specifications of the adapter to ensure it is compatible with your phone and the phone jack you will be using.

3. How do I install a phone jack adapter?

The installation process may vary depending on the specific adapter and phone jack. In general, you will need to plug the adapter into your phone's existing jack, then plug the adapter into the new phone jack. Make sure to follow any specific instructions included with the adapter to ensure proper installation.

4. Can a phone jack adapter improve the quality of my phone connection?

No, a phone jack adapter will not improve the quality of your phone connection. Its main purpose is to allow a phone with a larger plug to fit into a smaller phone jack. If you are experiencing connection issues, it is likely due to other factors such as the phone line or network.

5. Are phone jack adapters compatible with all phones?

No, phone jack adapters are not compatible with all phones. They are designed to work with specific types of phones, so it is important to check the specifications of the adapter and your phone to ensure compatibility. Additionally, some newer phones may not require an adapter at all, as they are designed to fit into smaller phone jacks without the need for an adapter.