Help w/ Math Proofs: cos(n∏+θ), ln|sec x|=-ln|cos x|

• Thread starter physicsgeek54
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the conversation is discussing the following two proofs: cos(n∏+θ)=(-1)^n cos θ and ln|sec x|= -ln|cos x|. The first proof involves using the angle addition identity for cosine, while the second proof can be solved by applying the laws of logarithms. The speaker also mentions that log is not necessary for the first proof.
physicsgeek54
I'm having trouble with these two proofs.
cos(n∏+θ)=(-1)^n cos θ
ln|sec x|= -ln|cos x|

I know for the first one that I have to incorporate log somehow but that's about all I got from it.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the second one, think about the laws of logarithms you know.

For the first one i assume the righthandside means ((-1)^n)cos(theta), how can you expand the left hand side, do you know of any identites or formulae?

I'm pretty sure you don't need log for the first one.

For the first one, start by thinking about how [itex]cos(\pi+\theta)[/itex] is related to [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] - the case where [itex]n=1[/itex]

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_guide/Addition-Identities.topicArticleId-11658,articleId-11610.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Use the angle addition identity for the cosine:
cos(A+B)=cos(A)cos(B)-sin(A)sin(B)​

1. What is the purpose of a mathematical proof?

A mathematical proof is a logical argument that provides evidence for the truth or validity of a statement or theorem. The purpose of a proof is to convince others, and sometimes even ourselves, that a mathematical statement is true.

2. How do you approach a proof involving trigonometric functions?

When approaching a proof involving trigonometric functions, it is important to use the properties and identities of trigonometric functions. In particular, it may be helpful to use the fundamental identities, such as the Pythagorean identity and the double angle identities, to manipulate the expression and simplify it. It may also be useful to draw a diagram or visualize the problem to gain a better understanding of the trigonometric relationships involved.

3. What is the difference between cos(n∏+θ) and cos(n∏/2+θ)?

The main difference between cos(n∏+θ) and cos(n∏/2+θ) is that the former represents a full rotation of n∏ radians, while the latter represents a rotation of n∏/2 radians. This means that cos(n∏+θ) will have a period of 2∏, while cos(n∏/2+θ) will have a period of 4∏. Additionally, cos(n∏+θ) will have twice as many roots as cos(n∏/2+θ).

4. Can you explain the relationship between ln|sec x| and -ln|cos x|?

The relationship between ln|sec x| and -ln|cos x| is based on the properties of logarithms and the definition of the secant and cosine functions. Since sec x = 1/cos x, ln|sec x| can be rewritten as ln(1/cos x), which is equal to -ln|cos x| by the logarithm property. In other words, ln|sec x| and -ln|cos x| are equivalent expressions.

5. How can you prove that ln|sec x|=-ln|cos x|?

To prove that ln|sec x|=-ln|cos x|, we can use the definition of the logarithm and the fact that sec x = 1/cos x. First, we can rewrite ln|sec x| as ln(1/cos x). Then, we can use the definition of the logarithm to write this as -ln|cos x|. This shows that ln|sec x| and -ln|cos x| are equivalent expressions, and therefore, the proof is complete.