Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP! What are 10 principles of physics applied to a space shuttle launch?

1. Nov 25, 2003 #1
    Hey, can someone please help me with this? *restates question* I need 10 principles of physics applied to a space shuttle launch. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2003 #2

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uh. I don't really understand the question.

F=ma pretty much sums it up.

What sort of 'principles' are you looking for?

4. Nov 25, 2003 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, the reason you're going to get hung up is the word 'principles.' Although you'll probably be taught that such things as

[tex]s(t) = v_0 t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]

are principles, you'll find that more and more experienced physicists regard very few things indeed as principles, and consider those kinds of equations to be derivatives of the principles.

These kinds of questions are usually the kind of questions designed by teachers who have decided to relabel what other people would not call principles for the purposes of making their classes remember them.

Here are a few ideas to get you started.

The motion of ANY body must deal with Newton's three laws.

Any body moving in a gravitational field has to contend with Newton's law of gravitation.

The principles of aerodynamics, like drag, are important for any body moving within the atmosphere.

The work-energy theorem explains how the shuttle trades potential for kinetic energy.

The conservation of energy means the same energy that is spent getting the shuttle up must also be dissipated when the shuttle comes back down.

That's seven...

- Warren

5. Nov 26, 2003 #4
    This is just me thinking, by no means am I an expert in physics
    1 equal and opposite reaction
    2 Quantum Physics- the combustion of rocket fuel
    3 Electromagnetic waves- communications
    4 Trajectory and orbiting objects
    5 Thermodynamics – tiles on shuttle to keep it from burning up

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?