Where Should I Apply for Graduate School in Condensed Matter Experimentation?

• Thread starter thebuttonfreak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apply
In summary, the condensed matter physics programs at top universities are highly competitive, but Urbana is considered a top-tier program. There are many other good programs to choose from, so it is important to do your research and consider which one is best for you.
thebuttonfreak
I am applying to graduate school this fall and would like to know where to apply. I am interested in condensed matter experimentation. What programs are good? Which ones are getting the most attention? Is a smaller less prestigious school with some interesting experiments worth my attention?

Just need general guidance.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I know Urbana considered a top notch condensed matter program, for more schools consult the US News World and Report Top Grad Schools, its like $7 but a nice little reference for at least FINDING what grad schools you might be interested in.

For a general listing of U.S. graduate schools, www.gradschoolshopper.com has over 100 listed under "Condensed Matter Physics," and it's free. I don't know about reputations.

Are you restricted geographically? Look through the university rankings for schools that (a) you think you might get into and (b) are in cities where you might want to live.

Browse through the webpages of a few places and come up with a list of Profs whose research seems interesting. (condensed matter is a pretty broad field). You can probably find out who the professors collaborate with by looking at their publications.

Also, if there are professors at your current school who *you* think are doing interesting research you can ask them who they think is doing really cool work!

This might not help you specifically with CMP, but there should be a book called "Graduate Programs in Physics 2008" lying around somewhere in your physics department. It's published by APS (I don't recommend buying it, since it runs at about $60). At my school, the Society of Physics Students had it. I'm sure your department has a copy as well. It'll give you listings of all the physics graduate programs in the United States, along with contact information, admissions statistics, etc. It was very useful when I was applying to grad school. In fact, I'd have never found the school I'm currently attending if not for it.

good things in this thread! thanks!

1. What factors should I consider when deciding where to apply?

When deciding where to apply, it is important to consider factors such as the program's reputation, faculty members, research opportunities, location, cost, and potential for funding or scholarships.

2. Should I prioritize the prestige of a university or the fit for my research interests?

It is important to strike a balance between prestige and fit for your research interests. While a prestigious university may open up more opportunities, it is also important to find a program that aligns with your research goals and interests.

3. How many schools should I apply to?

The number of schools you should apply to depends on your individual circumstances and preferences. However, it is generally recommended to apply to at least 3-5 schools to increase your chances of acceptance.

4. Can I apply to both Master's and PhD programs?

Yes, you can apply to both Master's and PhD programs. However, it is important to carefully consider your career goals and whether a Master's or PhD program is the best fit for you before applying.

5. Can I change my mind after submitting my applications?

Yes, you can change your mind after submitting your applications. However, it is important to carefully consider your options before submitting your applications to avoid any unnecessary fees or complications.