Is the Laplace Equation with Initial Conditions Ill-Posed?

• Thread starter Unskilled
  • Start date
In summary, the given laplace equation with initial conditions u_tt + u_xx = 0, -oo < x < oo, t > 0, u(x,0) = 0, u_t(x,0) = f_k(x) where f_k(x) = sin(kx), has a unique solution u(x,t) = (1/k)sin(kx)sin(kt). However, this problem is ill-posed as it does not satisfy the third condition of being continuously dependent on the data in a reasonable topology. This can be seen by considering the solution as k approaches 0, where there is no solution to the problem.
Unskilled
The laplace equation whit initial conditions
u_tt + u_xx = 0 -oo<x<oo , t>0
u(x,0)=0
u_t(x,0)=f_k(x)
where f_k(x)=sin(kx), has the unique solution
u(x,t)=(1/k)sin(kx)sin(kt)
Show that the problem is ill posed.

I know that the equations is elliptic so i tried first whit the maximum principle but
this Partial differential equation has no boundary condition so i can use that principle.
The Fourier method requires a periodic boundary condition, but again there is no boundary condition in this PDE.
I then tried the energy method and i get this:
d||u(*,t)||^2/dt=d/dt (int (u(x,t)^2)) after some work i get (2k/tan(kx))||u(*,t)||^2 but how does this show that the problem is ill posed? am i doing it right? if not the how do i do? thanks :D

Physics news on Phys.org
A solution is well-posed if it satisfies

1. A solution exists
2. The solution is unique
3. The solution depends continuously on the data, in some reasonable topology.Otherwise it's ill posed. They tell you you have a unique solution, so you want to show the solution is not continuously dependent on the data. So, if you had something like, 1/tan(x), if tanx = 0, you have a discontinuity, and that would be a nice place to start

Office_Shredder said:
A solution is well-posed if it satisfies

1. A solution exists
2. The solution is unique
3. The solution depends continuously on the data, in some reasonable topology.

Otherwise it's ill posed. They tell you you have a unique solution, so you want to show the solution is not continuously dependent on the data. So, if you had something like, 1/tan(x), if tanx = 0, you have a discontinuity, and that would be a nice place to start

thx for the fast answer :), but i don't really understand. I'm using the energy method but i don't know if it is right to use it because everything gets very complicated and strange, and i think also that i must show that u(x,0)=0
and ||u||=k||f|| somehow? or don't i need to do this, the expression i get doenst show this :(

You talk about using the "energy principle" and earlier about the "maximum principle". Further you say "i think also that i must show that u(x,0)=0" when you are TOLD that this is true! The problem only asks you to show that the problem is "ill posed". Do what office-shredder said: use the definition of "ill-posed"! You are told that the solution exists, you are told that the solution is unique, so there is only one thing left. As Office Shredder told you "you want to show the solution is not continuously dependent on the data." What happens to your soluition as k goes to 0? Does this problem have a solution if k= 0?

1. What is ill-posedness?

Ill-posedness refers to a problem that does not have a unique or stable solution. It can also refer to a problem that is sensitive to small changes in the input data.

2. How does ill-posedness affect scientific research?

Ill-posed problems can make it difficult for scientists to accurately and confidently draw conclusions from their research. It can also lead to unreliable or inconsistent results.

3. What causes ill-posedness?

Ill-posedness can be caused by a variety of factors, including insufficient or inaccurate data, mathematical or computational errors, and the complexity of the problem itself.

4. How can ill-posedness be addressed in scientific research?

To address ill-posedness, scientists may need to collect more data, improve the accuracy of their measurements, or use advanced mathematical techniques such as regularization or Bayesian inference.

5. Can ill-posedness be completely eliminated?

In most cases, it is not possible to completely eliminate ill-posedness. However, it can be minimized by carefully designing experiments, using appropriate statistical methods, and being aware of potential sources of error.