1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with 1 problem

1. Oct 10, 2008 #1
    1. An outfield throws a 1.51 kg baseball at a speed of 118 m/s and an initial angle of 41.2 degrees. What is the kinetic energy of the ball at the highest point of its motion? Answer in units of J.

2. Relevant equations:None

3. The attempt at a solution: I used the equation K=1/2mv^2
    1/2(1.51)(118)^2= 10,512.62 J but answer was wrong. Any ideas what I did wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You calculated the initial kinetic energy. They are asking for the kinetic energy when the ball is at the height of it's trajectory. v will be different than 118 m/s there.
  4. Oct 10, 2008 #3
    So how would I find V, as the final velocity?
  5. Oct 10, 2008 #4
    Well at it's highest point in it's trajectory, it's not rising nor falling, am I right?

Therefore the y component of velocity = 0.

Take it from there.
  6. Oct 11, 2008 #5
    sorry to inform you but the velocity isn't zero.
  7. Oct 11, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Rake-MC is correct that the y component of velocity is zero at the highest point.

redhot209 is also correct, the velocity is not zero.

Both statements are correct, since velocity and y-component of velocity are not the same thing.
  8. Oct 11, 2008 #7
    y component of the velocity is zero and you still need to calculate the x-component, which you can use to calculate K.E. by using the formula, K.E. = 1/2 mvx2
  9. Oct 11, 2008 #8
    Vx always remains the same in a parabolic trajectory, so it will be same as initial velocity along x direction which will be 118 cos(41.2)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?