1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with 3 questions for general physics?

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    1.Three point charges are fixed in place in the right triangle diagrammed below, in which q1 = 0.81 µC and q2 = -0.53 µC. What is the electric force on the +1.0 µC charge due to the other two charges,degree measured counterclockwise from the +x-axis?

2. Two Styrofoam balls with the same mass m = 8.7 10-8 kg and the same positive charge Q are suspended from the same point by insulating threads of length L = 0.91 m (the figure below). The separation of the balls is d = 0.028 m. What is the charge Q?

3.Positive point charges are placed at three corners of a rectangle, as shown in the figure, in which d = 0.41 m. Take the +x-axis to point to the right.
    (a) What is the electric field at the fourth corner?
    degrees measured counterclockwise from the -x-axis

(b) A small object with a charge of +8.8 µC is placed at the fourth corner. What force acts on the object?
    degrees measured counterclockwise from the -x-axis

here is a link to the diagrams. http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/sweetipie2216/

each picture is labeled with the question number.
    I did work on these questions. I asked my teacher and T.A for help and they just added more to the confusion.

Here are my answers for number 3. I dont know if they are right or wrong. a)5.63e6N,205 degrees b)49.58N and 205 degrees.
    If you can please give me a good explanation about how i can solve these with good detail and showing all the steps. You dont have to give me any answers.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted