Help with 4017 Circuit for 8V IR Sensor Pulse Counting

• Thread starter dunar21
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to create a circuit that counts pulses and sends out a charge after a certain number of pulses, using a 4017 IC. The pulses come from an IR sensor and there may be issues with noise or multiple firing on the edges of the sensor signal. Suggestions for solving this problem include using a small capacitor or a schmidt trigger buffer to clean up the signal.
dunar21
[URL]http://www.aryanduntley.com/images/4017trial.png[/URL]
If the image doesn't show, it's here:
http://www.aryanduntley.com/images/4017trial.png"
I am trying to piece together a circuit that counts a certain number of pulses and sends out a charge after that number occurred (I need enough power to run a small printer motor) then reset and begin counting again. The picture shows my attempt at a schematic depicting the connections I have in a circuit that is controlled by a 4017 IC. The pulses come from an IR sensor that puts out about 8V. The circuit is not working. I would appreciate any assistance, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If it is indeed counting something you are probably on the right track. I would bet that there is some kind of noise or multiple firing on the edges of your sensor signal. You could try putting a small capacitor, say .1uf, across the sensor input to see if it smooths stuff out. Going to far in that direction (a way big capacitor) your signal may be too slow such that it remains in the switching range of the 4017 input and causes it to dither. In that case you may need to use a "schmidt trigger" buffer to clean it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a 4017 circuit?

A 4017 circuit is a type of integrated circuit (IC) commonly used in electronic devices to control the sequencing or counting of signals. It contains a series of flip-flops that can be triggered by an input signal, and can be used for various applications such as LED sequencing, frequency division, and pulse counting.

2. How does a 4017 circuit work?

A 4017 circuit works by using a clock signal to sequentially activate its outputs. The clock signal can come from an external source or from an internal oscillator. Each time the clock signal is received, the IC advances to the next output, allowing for sequential counting or triggering of other components in a circuit.

3. What is the purpose of an 8V IR sensor?

An 8V IR sensor is commonly used in electronic devices to detect infrared light. It can be used for various purposes such as motion detection, distance measurement, and object detection. In the context of a 4017 circuit, an 8V IR sensor can be used as an input to trigger the counting of pulses.

4. How can a 4017 circuit be used for pulse counting with an 8V IR sensor?

To use a 4017 circuit for pulse counting with an 8V IR sensor, the output of the sensor can be connected to the clock input of the IC. Every time the sensor detects an infrared pulse, it will send a signal to the clock input, causing the IC to advance to the next output. This allows for the counting of pulses from the sensor.

5. Are there any limitations to using a 4017 circuit for pulse counting with an 8V IR sensor?

There may be limitations to using a 4017 circuit for pulse counting with an 8V IR sensor, depending on the specific circuit design and components used. For example, the sensitivity and range of the IR sensor may affect the accuracy of the pulse counting. It is important to carefully select and test components to ensure reliable and accurate pulse counting with a 4017 circuit and 8V IR sensor.