Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with 6 axis

1. Jan 16, 2009 #1
    Hello i need help to get this working if its possible, will try explain what i have come to.
    I have 2 dc motors that I want to control six different axes,

if motor 1 spins right and motor 2 spins left then the first axle will rotate.

if motor 1 spins left and motor 2 spins right then the second axle will rotate.

if motor 1 is stoped and motor 2 spins right then the third axle will rotate.

if motor 1 is stoped and motor 2 spins left then the fourth axle will rotate.

if motor 1 spins left and motor 2 is stoped then the fifth axle will rotate.

if motor 1 spins right and motor 2 is stoped then the sixth axle will rotate.

Ok i hope someone understand this, this would work if i know how to build it, I have a couple of gears but its seems impossible.

Can anyone help me, show me or explain how exactly i can do or give me another teory to make this ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

This is coursework, but I'll let it stay here in EE for now -- it might get moved to the Homework Help forums at some point.

Welcome to the PF, Clue144. Since this is *your* project/homwork/coursework, you are going to have to do the bulk of the work. We won't just give you answers on how to do your project.

So first of all, you need to figure out a better way to list the combinations and results. If you figure out a better way to show the problem, that may help you start to get ideas on how to actually make something that will do it.

So try a Truth Table approach, and see how that looks. And think about a 3-D table approach as well (since this is a 3-D problem).

Show us your work on the next steps of figuring out a good way to state what you are trying to do....

4. Jan 16, 2009 #3

berkeman

Oh, and please draw what these axles look like -- show what you mean by 6-D.

5. Jan 16, 2009 #4
    ok this is a quik image i have made

[​IMG]

those thick black lines are round tubes to spin ... my 6 axis

and i whant to spin them one at the time with 2 dc motor if its possible

6. Jan 16, 2009 #5

berkeman

Well, that's not a 6-axis system. Maybe 6-axle, but not 6 axis. A 6 degree of freedom system would be linear motion in x, y, and z, and rotational motion about the 3 axes, for example.

But whatever. Are there any constraints on how the axles are positioned? What are the other rules of this project?

7. Jan 16, 2009 #6
    ok i see but cant it be done with 2 dc motors only ? thers no constraints, just get them to spin one at a time is my goal

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?