Proving the Inequality: 0<r<1 Implies 1/(r(1-r))≥4 | Help with Basic Proof

• Thread starter dustbin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, if r is a real number such that 0<r<1, then r= 1/n where nεZ such that n≥2. As such, the inequality \frac{1}{r(1-r)} = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{n}(1-\frac{1}{n})} = \frac{n^2}{n-1} \geq 4.
dustbin

Homework Statement

Prove that if r is a real number such that 0<r<1, then

[tex] \frac{1}{r(1-r)} \geq 4.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume that r is a real number such that 0<r<1. Then r= 1/n where nεZ such that n≥2. As such,

[tex] \frac{1}{r(1-r)} = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{n}(1-\frac{1}{n})} = \frac{n^2}{n-1} \geq 4. [/tex]

It can be shown by induction that this inequality is true for n≥2 where n is an integer.

First the base case is proven where n=2.

[tex] \frac{2^2}{2-1} = 4 \geq 4 [/tex]

Now we let n=k such that [tex] \frac{k^2}{k-1} \geq 4 [/tex] and show that the inequality is true for k+1. Observe that

[tex] \frac{(k+1)^2}{(K+1)-1} = \frac{k^2+2k+1}{k} \geq 4 [/tex] which we can rearrange as [tex] k^2 \geq 4k-2k-1 = 2k-1 = 2(k-\frac{1}{2}) .[/tex]

From the induction hypothesis we see that [tex] k^2 \geq 4k-4 = 4(k-1) [/tex] which shows that the inequality is true for k+1. Thus [tex] \frac{n^2}{n-1} = \frac{1}{r(1-r)} \geq 4 [/tex] for nεZ such that n≥2.

I apologize if this is a bit hard to read... this my first attempt at latex! I realize that this only takes into account rational numbers and disregards the rest of the reals. I made this attempt hoping I would see a way to complete the proof, but I am drawing a blank on how to include the rest of the real numbers. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
It can be easier to manipulate the original inequality into a quadratic equation, and then find the minimum value on the range (0,1) to show that it is always larger than 4.

As Villyer said, simply manipulating the inequality from what you are given will do the trick. Also, just because r is a real number DOES NOT mean that r = 1 / n for some integer n. That is not even true for rational numbers, so the proof you have right now is technically incorrect.

[EDIT] Actually, now that I have read your "proof" more carefully, it is very incorrect since you use induction, which relies on the assumption that r = 1/n for some integer n, which is false.

Ah. I again over-complicate my search! So now I have:

Let rεR such that 0<r<1. Then we have
[tex] \frac{1}{1(1-r)} \geq 4
\longleftrightarrow 1 \geq 4r-4r^2
\longleftrightarrow 0 ≥ -4r^2+4r-1
\longleftrightarrow 0 ≥ -(2r-1)^2
\longleftrightarrow 0 ≤ (2r-1)^2.
[/tex]

/ end formal argument!

I know that r= 1/2 here and that this is the minimum of the range between 0<r<1, which can be shown with first/second derivative tests. What is necessary for me state in order to show that 4 is the minimum value of the range on 0<r<1? Is there a simpler way for me to verify that this is the minimum value?

@who_:
I see my flaw! A number 0<r<1 could not only be 1/n but also 3/9, sqrt(6)/99... I don't know where I got that idea from :redface:

That's a much nicer and cleaner proof :)

Haha, no worries - even the most talented mathematicians make mistakes like those.

1. What is the purpose of proving the inequality 0

The purpose of proving this inequality is to show the relationship between two variables, r and 1/(r(1-r)), and to demonstrate that when r is between 0 and 1, the value of 1/(r(1-r)) is always greater than or equal to 4.

2. What are the steps involved in proving this inequality?

The steps involved in proving this inequality may vary depending on the approach, but generally they include defining the variables, stating the given information, using algebraic manipulation or mathematical properties to simplify the expression, and providing a logical explanation for the resulting inequality.

3. Can this inequality be proven using a counterexample?

No, this inequality cannot be proven using a counterexample. A counterexample is a specific instance where the statement is false, but in this case, the inequality holds true for all values of r between 0 and 1.

4. How can this inequality be applied in real-world situations?

This inequality can be applied in various fields such as statistics, economics, and physics to analyze relationships between two variables and make predictions. For example, in economics, it can be used to determine the optimal production level for a given cost function.

5. Are there any exceptions to this inequality?

No, there are no exceptions to this inequality. As long as the variable r is between 0 and 1, the resulting value of 1/(r(1-r)) will always be greater than or equal to 4.