Help with a chemical solution

• Thread starter tribaggili
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, a chemical solution consists of a solvent and a solute, with the possibility of additional components such as acids or bases. The concentration of a solution can be calculated by dividing the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters. The concentration can also be changed by adding more solute or solvent. Proper safety precautions should be followed when handling and storing chemical solutions, including wearing protective gear and storing in a designated area. If issues arise with a chemical solution, it is important to review preparation and handling methods, as well as seeking guidance from a qualified scientist or consulting relevant literature.
tribaggili
Hello,

I quote from a paper: "...a solution of CuSO4 (1 mM) and NaAsc (2 mM) in 10 mM Tris buffer with 20% DMSO".

Does the molarities refer to the 80% volume of the Tris buffer or of the total volume (80% v Tris + 20% v DMSO)? For example, if I want to make 100 mL solution, I have to add 80 mL of 10 mM Tris buffer, or 80 mL of 12.5 mM Tris buffer (which is 10 mM in 100 mL).

Thanks!
Andrea

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No idea. I would give concentrations in regard to the total volume, but I agree it can be confusing.

Why don't you try to contact paper authors?

1. What are the necessary components for a chemical solution?

A chemical solution typically consists of a solvent and a solute. The solvent is the substance that dissolves the solute, which is the substance being dissolved. Other components, such as acids or bases, may also be present depending on the specific solution.

2. How do I calculate the concentration of a chemical solution?

The concentration of a chemical solution is typically measured in moles per liter (M). To calculate the concentration, divide the number of moles of solute by the volume of the solution in liters. This will give you the concentration in M.

3. Can I change the concentration of a chemical solution?

Yes, the concentration of a chemical solution can be changed by adding more solute or solvent. To increase the concentration, add more solute. To decrease the concentration, add more solvent.

4. How do I safely handle and store a chemical solution?

It is important to follow proper safety precautions when handling and storing chemical solutions. Wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and work in a well-ventilated area. Store solutions in properly labeled, tightly sealed containers in a designated area away from heat and direct sunlight.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with a chemical solution?

If you are experiencing issues with your chemical solution, such as it not dissolving properly or producing unexpected results, it is important to review the preparation and handling methods. Check that you have used the correct amount of solute and solvent, and that they are of high quality. If the issue persists, seek guidance from a qualified scientist or consult relevant literature.