Help with a Chemistry Problem Please

• Thread starter wilsonctj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of calculating the amount of Sodium Hypochlorite in a 3% solution. The solution may contain other compounds such as sodium chloride and sodium hydroxide, and the solution must be alkaline to prevent decomposition. One must calculate the formula weight and measure the specific gravity or density of the solution in order to determine the amount of Sodium Hypochlorite present.
wilsonctj
Hi

I need to work out how many mg/l of Sodium Hypochlorite there are in a 3% Solution

Any help (inc workings) would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Chris

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This goes in the Homework Problems section.

Is this for a commercially manufactured solution? Sodium hypochlorite decomposes and may yield sodium chloride as it decomposes, or maybe there is sodium chloride and also sodium hydroxide as a result of the manufacturing conditions. Note, the solution needs to be alkaline otherwise will decompose very quickly into chlorine. You can calculate for yourself the formula weight of NaClO and you may need the density or specific gravity of the solution, which you should measure yourself.

Basicly what I only meant to say was, you calculate the formula weight of the compound, and you also need to have a measurement of the specific gravity or density; then you can calculate what you asked.

Last edited:
3% solution is diluted enough so that you may - as a first approximation - safely assume its density is that of water.

--

What is the problem that needs help with in chemistry?

The specific problem may vary, but it is likely related to a concept or calculation in chemistry that the person is struggling with.

Can you provide step-by-step instructions on how to solve the problem?

Yes, I can provide detailed instructions on how to approach and solve the problem. It may be helpful to provide any relevant equations or formulas that are involved.

What resources can I use to help me understand the problem better?

There are many resources available for chemistry help, such as textbooks, online tutorials and practice problems, and seeking assistance from a tutor or teacher.

How can I check if my answer to the problem is correct?

You can use a calculator or reference materials to check your calculations, and you can also compare your answer to a provided solution or ask for feedback from a knowledgeable source.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving this type of problem?

Yes, some common mistakes include using incorrect units, not properly balancing equations, and not following the correct order of operations. It's important to double check your work and identify any potential errors.