Solve for d/dx (sec 5x) with Expert Help | Derivative Troubleshooting

• Thread starter ladyrae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: I'm not sure what is. In summary, I am having trouble with part of a problem. What is d/dx (sec 5x)? Is it ((sec 5x)(tan 5x)(d/dx 5x)) ?Remember that d/dx~f(g(x)) = f'(g(x))~g'(x). What would (sec5x)(tan 5x)(5) be? Simplify and find out.How about d/dx (sec 5x)= (sec 5x)(tan 5x)(d/dx 5x)= (sec 5x)(tan 5x)(5)
ladyrae
I am having trouble with part of a problem

what is d/dx (sec 5x)

is it ((sec 5x)(tan 5x)(d/dx 5x)) ?

Or is 5 a constant multiple ?

either way what next ?

What would (sec5x)(tan 5x)(5) be?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ladyrae said:
I am having trouble with part of a problem

what is d/dx (sec 5x)

is it ((sec 5x)(tan 5x)(d/dx 5x)) ?
Remember that [itex]d/dx~f(g(x)) = f'(g(x))~g'(x)[/itex].
What would (sec5x)(tan 5x)(5) be?
Simplify and find out.

How about

d/dx (sec 5x)

= (sec 5x)(tan 5x)(d/dx 5x)
= (sec 5x)(tan 5x)(5)
=(sec 5x)(5tan 5x)

I am using the formula d/dx sec u = (sec u)(tan u)(d/dx u)

Am I on the right track?

maybe

x(sec 5)(5tan 5)

Write out the sec and tan as functions of sin and cos if you want to simplify properly.

software

Does anyone know a program available I can use to check my answers to problems like these...quotient rule, product rule, and chain rule.

Thanks

Some symbolic algebra program should help...how about Wolfram Research's Mathematica? (www.wolfram.com)

I am not yet aware of anything in the GNU which does the same job...

Cheers
Vivek

A TI-89 graphing calculator will also solve many of these problems. Invaluable for checking your work.

Hello everyone,
I'm having some difficulties with a problem.
It includes an equation and says find the time when it is a maximum.
The equation is f(x)=75/(1+74e^(-0.6t))
To find the maximum we'll have to set the derivative of f(x)=0, but the problem I have is differentiating this expression. Applying the quotient rule, (75 is a constant) I get stuck at differentiating 1 + 74e^(-0.6t). It is simple using logarithms to differentiate it. For example y= 74e^(-0.6t) (d/dx 1= 0)
ln y= 74*-0.6t ln e y'/y=-44.4t *1 y'= -44.4t* 74e^(0.6t)
Now, I am not sure if I can use this technique when finding the derivative of the whole expression f(x)=75/(1+74e^(-0.6t)) and then setting it equal to 0?
Thank you
K.K

Yeah, there ain't no problem with using the rule of quotients with the deriv. you just calculated. The quotient rule is independant of how you calculate each derivative. By the way, there ain't no need to use logarithmic derivative since the derivative of exp() is soooo easy.
[tex] d\frac{ 1 + 74e^{-0.6t}} {dt} = 74* (-0.6) e^{-0.6t}[/tex]

Anyway, be aware that (f ' =0) is only a sufficient codition for maximum (or minimum, for that matter), so you should check the second derivative as well.

Last edited:
By the way, the total deriv. is:
[tex]\frac{3330 e^{-0.6t}}{(1 + 74 e^{-0.6 t})^2}[/tex]

Fortunately I was right, anyway thanks for your help. I found the derivative exactly as you did. Now I should find the maximum. So i should find f(x)' = 0 and f(x)" if it is <0 (max) or > 0 (min). The problem I have now is that I can't find a value for f(x)' (a value for t) so that it is equal to 0? :cry:

The function you give, f(x)=75/(1+74e^(-0.6t)), is steadily increasing. It has no maximum. If your problem asks for the maximum on a closed interval, then it is the value at the right end point.,

More generally if f = sec u and u = 5x,

[tex]
\frac{df}{du} = \sec u \tan u
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\frac{du}{dx} = 5
[/tex]

The chain rule says that

[tex]
\frac{df}{dx} = \frac{df}{du} \frac{du}{dx}
[/tex]

so that [tex]\frac{df}{dx}[/tex] is easily found out as [tex]5 \sec 5x \tan 5x [/tex].

Whether you use product rule or take logs first, you should end up with the same answer. Which trick to use when is an idea you get only after solving too many problems...sometimes log is better and it avoids too much algebra.

Remember the quotient rule as

[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}[\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}] = \frac{g(x) \frac{df(x)}{dx} - f(x) \frac{dg(x)}{dx}}{[g(x)]^{2}}
[/tex]

that is first write the square of the denominator in the denominator on the right hand side. Then write the expression in the numerator as: (denominator of (f/g) * derivative of numerator (df/dx)) - (numerator of (f/g) * derivative of denominator (dg/dx)).

For your problem (f/g) or (f(x)/g(x)) represents the function to be maximized/minimized, so using the above form of the quotient rule, you can directly set d(f/g)/dx equal to zero, as

[tex]
g(x) \frac{df(x)}{dx} - f(x) \frac{dg(x)}{dx}} = 0
[/tex]

Fill in the rest ...

Last edited:
L'Hospital Rule

Using L'Hospital's Rule I should find the limit of the function
Lim x->inf. x[ln(x+5) -ln x] . First it should be differentiated.
I wrote the function like this : Lim x->inf. x ln(x+5) - x ln x or
Lim x->inf. [ln(x+5)]/(1/x) - ln x/(1/x). I differentiated the function and the 1st derivative is -x^2/(x+5) +x . Even trying with second derivative I can't find the correct answer. Maybe there's sth wrong?

No, it's perfectly correct. -x^2/(x + 5) + x = (-x^2 + x(x + 5)) / (x + 5) = (-x^2 + x^2 + 5x) / (x + 5) = 5x/(x + 5), apply l'Hopitals rule again to find the limit.

:approve:
I am sorry for inconvenience. I forgot that ln(x+5) - ln(x) = ln (x+5)/x. The exercise was really easy.

Optimization

"A conical cup is made from a circular piece of paper of radius R by cutting out a sector and joining its edges. Find the maximum capacity of such cup"

I just know that V(cone)=1/3 Pi R^2 H and that the lateral Area is A= Pi R Sqr(R^2+H^2)

I can't go any further.
Thanks for the help

Electro said:
"A conical cup is made from a circular piece of paper of radius R by cutting out a sector and joining its edges. Find the maximum capacity of such cup"
I suggest you start a new thread next time. I'm not sure how exactly this conical cup is being formed. You say "cutting out a sector and joining its edges". How big a sector are you talking about? Does 'its' refer to the sector or the circular piece of paper without the sector? What is the shape of this sector (I'm guessing it looks like a piece of pie)?

Yes, do start a new thread.

e(ho0n3, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CircularSector.html

Electro, you know that the original radius of the circle is going to be the slant height and that that circumference of the base of the cone is going to be the same as the original cirumference minus the part that was taken out with the sector. How can you use this?

cookiemonster

Thanks a lot! I just solved the problem.

Hello Everyone,
I'm studying the substitution rule for solving integrals. There is an exercise that I can't solve. I know that you will help me. INT X*SQR(X-1) Limit 1->2.
I tried all the substitutions but I can't get to the solution.

Thanx

This is a weird one. Let u = x-1,
so then u+1 = x and du = dx.
Try setting it up from there.

The problem is that I can't cancel X from the equation. So it will be
INT X*SQR(U) du...?

With an upper limit of 2 and a lower limit of 1:
Integrate: x(x-1)^0.5 dx

First let u = x-1, x = u+1, root(x-1) = (x-1)^0.5 = u^0.5
du/dx = 1.

x(x-1)^0.5 = (u+1)(u^0.5)1 dx
= (u+1)(u^.5) du/dx dx
= (u+1)(u^.5) du
= u^1.5 + u^.5 du

Integrating with respect to u.

(2/5)u^2.5 + (2/3)u^1.5
= (2/5)(x-1)^2.5 + (2/3)(x-1)^1.5

Using the limits, = 16/15.

I too, have recently introduced myself to integration via substitution. A confirmation as to whether this is correct would be nice but I'm fairly sure it is.

Thanks Gaz!
The solution is correct. I had the answer but I couldn't get to it.
It's exactly as u have solved it.

My pleasure, I'm glad of the practice =).

1. How do I solve for d/dx (sec 5x)?

To solve for d/dx (sec 5x), you will need to use the chain rule. First, rewrite sec 5x as (1/cos 5x). Then, apply the chain rule by multiplying the derivative of the outer function (1/cos 5x) by the derivative of the inner function (5x). This will give you the final answer of (5tan 5x)/(cos 5x)^2.

2. What is the chain rule and how does it apply to solving for d/dx (sec 5x)?

The chain rule is a rule in calculus that allows you to find the derivative of a composite function. In this case, the composite function is sec 5x, which can be rewritten as (1/cos 5x). To apply the chain rule, you will need to multiply the derivative of the outer function (1/cos 5x) by the derivative of the inner function (5x). This is because the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

3. What are the steps to solving for d/dx (sec 5x)?

The steps to solving for d/dx (sec 5x) are as follows: 1. Rewrite sec 5x as (1/cos 5x). 2. Apply the chain rule by multiplying the derivative of the outer function (1/cos 5x) by the derivative of the inner function (5x). 3. Simplify the resulting expression to get the final answer of (5tan 5x)/(cos 5x)^2.

4. Is there a simpler way to solve for d/dx (sec 5x)?

No, the chain rule is the most efficient and accurate way to solve for d/dx (sec 5x). It is important to follow the steps correctly and simplify the resulting expression to get the correct answer.

5. Are there any common mistakes when solving for d/dx (sec 5x)?

Yes, some common mistakes when solving for d/dx (sec 5x) include not applying the chain rule correctly, forgetting to simplify the resulting expression, or making arithmetic errors. It is important to double check your work and follow the steps carefully to avoid these mistakes.