1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help with a derivative

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What have you tried? Before we can give you any help, you must show some effort at solving your problem.

4. Sep 14, 2010 #3
    Well what I've tried so far is that I know that the fundamental theorem of calculus derivative with respect to t of integral from 0 to t f(x) dx is just f(t). However, that won't work in this case because we have the introduction of a 2nd variable t. It won't be just f(t,t). If I assume f(t,x) = t^2 +3tx + x^2 just as a dummy definition as an experiment, I get that g'(t) = 17t^2 / 2 but if we assume it is f(t,t), it will be 5t^2 so the two answers don't match up. I've been staring at this problem for hours now!

5. Sep 14, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look under "variable limits" here. You basically want to combine the usual FTC with the chain rule (since there is [itex]t[/itex]-dependence in both the limits and the integrand).

6. Sep 14, 2010 #5
    Thanks a lot! But I do not totally understand the proof. Under the general form of variable limits, which is similar to my problem, I understand everything up until the part with the mean value theorem. I don't understand what went on there. Though this provides me with a better insight on the problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook