Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help with a derivative

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What have you tried? Before we can give you any help, you must show some effort at solving your problem.

4. Sep 14, 2010 #3
    Well what I've tried so far is that I know that the fundamental theorem of calculus derivative with respect to t of integral from 0 to t f(x) dx is just f(t). However, that won't work in this case because we have the introduction of a 2nd variable t. It won't be just f(t,t). If I assume f(t,x) = t^2 +3tx + x^2 just as a dummy definition as an experiment, I get that g'(t) = 17t^2 / 2 but if we assume it is f(t,t), it will be 5t^2 so the two answers don't match up. I've been staring at this problem for hours now!

5. Sep 14, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look under "variable limits" here. You basically want to combine the usual FTC with the chain rule (since there is [itex]t[/itex]-dependence in both the limits and the integrand).

6. Sep 14, 2010 #5
    Thanks a lot! But I do not totally understand the proof. Under the general form of variable limits, which is similar to my problem, I understand everything up until the part with the mean value theorem. I don't understand what went on there. Though this provides me with a better insight on the problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook