1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a function on S^2

1. Jan 6, 2007 #1

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I wonder if anyone can help with this question. It's a part of a Differential Geometry exam question which I can't get!

A map [itex]\mathbb{R}^3 \times \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^3 [/itex] is defined by

[tex] ((x,y,z),t) \longmapsto \left( \frac{x}{z\sinh t+\cosh t},\frac{y}{z\sinh t+\cosh t},\frac{z\cosh t+\sinh t}{z\sinh t+\cosh t}\right) [/tex]

Show that this determines a mapping [itex] f:S^2\times \mathbb{R} \rightarrow S^2 [/itex].

I tried substituiting polar coordinates for S2 in place of (x,y,z) in the above function. Then I figured that if the function's image is a subset of S2, then the coordinates must satisfy [itex]z=\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2}[/itex]. However, I can't get this to work, and so it's probably not the correct method!

Any help/hints would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2007 #2

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Well, the target space of your mapping is [itex]{\mathbold R}^3[/itex]. Can you show that the range of your mapping is an ordinary round sphere in that space?

If you don't see it yet, try this: I give you the coordinates of a curve [itex](x,y,z)(t)[/itex], how could you show that the curve lies on a sphere [itex]x^2 +y^2 + z^2 = 1[/itex], if it does?

4. Jan 6, 2007 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, if the curve lies on the sphere, then it must satisfy the equation [itex]x^2 +y^2 + z^2 = 1[/itex]. So would I just square the components on the RHS of the expression for the mapping above, and show that they sum to 1? However, the terms contain x,y,z- i.e. it is not expressed explicitly in t so I'm not sure this would work.

Sorry, I'm sure there's something really basic here that I'm just not seeing!

5. Jan 6, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

ACtually, I think I've got it. We want [tex]\left(\frac{x}{z\sinh t+\cosh t}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{y}{z\sinh t+\cosh t}\right)^2+\left(\frac{z\cosh t+\sinh t}{z\sinh t+\cosh t}\right)^2=1 [/tex]

So, [tex]x^2+y^2+(z\cosh t+\sinh t)^2=(z\sinh t+\cosh t)^2[/tex]

Expanding and simplifying this gives [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2=1[/itex], and so the range of the mapping is on the sphere.

Is this right?

6. Jan 6, 2007 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not quite -- that's the converse of what you want to show. Is this proof reversible?

7. Jan 6, 2007 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think so. Surely a curve lies on S2 if and only if it satisfies the equation [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2=1[/itex]. How would I show this?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  8. Jan 6, 2007 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you have misunderstood.

What you have shown is that if f(P, t) lies on the sphere, then P lies on the sphere.

But your goal was to prove that if P lies on the sphere, then f(P, t) lies on the sphere.

9. Jan 6, 2007 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ahh, ok I understand what you mean now. I think the proof probably is reversible, but have no clue as to how to show it! Can you give a hint? Sorry to be a pain!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?