How do I Format Shapes in MS Word?

In summary: A##, not ##R~##. In summary, the electric field inside a long cylindrical charge distribution of uniform charge density ##ρ##, for ##r\lt R~##, has magnitude ##E = Ar^n~##where ##n = 0~## and ##A = 7.141243 ×10^4~\rm N ⋅ \rm C^{-1}~##.
AllThingsGo
hey guys and gals, I'm normally pretty good at my physics homework, but this problem has my STUMPED, I think I am starting it right, but I have no idea how to proceed or if I am on a good path.

Homework Statement

A Very Long Cylinder with a radius of 7.2cm (.072m) has a uniform density of charges throughout it. If the charge density of the cylinder is 1,264 nC.m^3, inside the cylinder for what distances x (less the the radius) from the center of the cylinder, the magnitude of the electric field equal to Ax^n where the electric field is in nC and x is measured in meters. What is the value of A, and what is the value of N

Homework Equations

intE*dA=Qin/Epsilon naught

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I know I am working in three detentions, so my charge density is not going to be n=q/4piR^2, but rho (shown as P here on out) I was able to assume that the intE*dA=E*2pi*R*L
and that lead me to

Qin (charge)=int P*Dv and Dv=2piL

but I am still confused and have no idea how I am supposed to get a numerical value for these things.

please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Given: ... a very long uniformly charged cylinder of radius ##R = 7.2~\rm cm = 0.072~\rm m~##... the volume charge density is ##ρ = 1264~\rm{nC} ⋅ \rm m^{-3} = 1.264~×~10^{-6}~\rm C ⋅ \rm m^{-3}~##...
Unknown: ... the values of##~A~##and##~n~##for the electric field with magnitude##~E = Ar^n~##for##~r~\lt~R~## inside the cylinder ...
Solution: ... easier to obtain by applying Gauss's law of electricity than by direct integration using ##\vec E = \int d\vec E## ...
##\dots## Gauss's law##~\Rightarrow~Φ_E = ~\begin{cases}\begin{align} &\oint_{\rm S} \vec E \cdot d \vec s = \oint_{\rm S} \vec E \cdot \hat {\mathbf n}ds = \oint_{\rm S} E(ds)(\cos θ)\dots\nonumber \\ & q/ε_0~\Leftarrow~q =~\text {total charge enclosed by surface S}\dots\nonumber \end{align}\end{cases}##
where ##θ## is the angle between ##\vec E## and the outward unit normal vector ##\hat {\mathbf n}## perpendicular to the area element ##ds## of the imaginary Gaussian surface ##\rm S##. The field point where the electric field ##\vec E## given above is being evaluated must lie on the Gaussian surface itself.
At this point I would like to point out the advantage of using Gauss's law in the form shown above involving ##\vec E##. The integral on the right hand side is in general complicated. But by choosing properly the imaginary Gaussian surface ##\rm S##, one in which the magnitude of ##\vec E## and ##θ## become constant in ##\rm S##, then both ##E## and ##\cos θ## can be taken out of the integral sign, leaving only ##Φ_E = E\cos θ \oint_{\rm S} ds## which reduces the complication in the evaluation of the integral.
In the case of a circular cylindrical Gaussian surface
... ##Φ_E## = ##Φ_{E\rm t}## + ##Φ_{E\rm b}## + ##Φ_{E\rm s}~\Leftarrow
\begin{cases}\begin{align} & Φ_{E\rm t} = \text {flux through the top circular end}\dots \nonumber \\ & Φ_{E\rm b} = \text {flux through the bottom circular end}\dots \nonumber \\ & Φ_{E\rm s} = \text {flux through the lateral side} \dots\nonumber\end{align} \end{cases}##
With##~\vec E~##radially outward for a positive cylindrical charge distribution, ##\hat {\mathbf n}## at the two circular ends are perpendicular to ##\vec E## , meaning ##\vec E## is parallel to the circular faces so that no ##\vec E## vectors pass through those surfaces, making ##Φ_{E\rm t} = Φ_{E\rm b} =## 0. Only ##Φ_{E\rm s}## has nonzero contribution to ##Φ_E## since there ##\hat {\mathbf n}## is parallel to ##\vec E## giving ##θ = 0°## with ##\cos ( 0°) = 1## that causes the ##\vec E## vectors pass through the lateral side of the cylinder.
It follows that according to Gauss's law, we get after carrying out the intergration $$Φ_E = Φ_{E\rm s} =~\begin{cases}\begin{align} & \int E(ds)\cos 0° =\iint (A{r_0}^n)(r_0dθdz) ~\dots\nonumber \\ & A{r_0}^{n + 1}\iint dθdz = 2πAL{r_0}^{n + 1}~\dots \nonumber\end{align}\end{cases}$$since ##0\leq θ\leq 2π## , ##-L/2 \leq z\leq +L/2~## , and where ##r_0\lt R## is one particular radius of the imaginary Gaussian surface ##\rm S## inside the charge distribution.
Evaluation of total charge enclosed by Gaussian surface S with ##ρ ## = constant follows:
$$q = \int ρdV = ρ\iiint (rdθdrdz) = ρ\int_0^{r_0} rdr \int_0^{2π} dθ \int_{-L/2}^{+L/2} dz$$##\Rightarrow~q = (1/2)ρ{r_0}^2(2π)L = πρL{r_0}^2~\Rightarrow~Φ_E = q/ε_0 = πρL{r_0}^2/ε_0~\dots##
Combining the two expressions obtained for ##Φ_E##, we finally get
##\dots~2πAL{r_0}^{n + 1} = πρL{r_0}^2/ε_0~\Rightarrow~2A{r_0}^{n - 1} = ρ/ε_0~\dots##
By looking at the units only, without the numerical values of the physical quantities involved in the preceding equation, we get the unknown value of ##n##. Use the angle brackets to denote the units only##~\dots~\langle⋅\rangle =## unit(s)##~\dots##
##\Rightarrow~\langle{ 2A{r_0}^{n - 1} }\rangle = \langle{ ρ/ε_0 }\rangle~\Rightarrow~\langle A \rangle \langle{{r_0}^{n - 1}}\rangle = {\langleρ\rangle}/{\langle{ε_0}\rangle} = {\langleρ\rangle} {\langle{ε_0} \rangle}^{-1}~\dots##
##\dots~\langle A \rangle \rm {m^{n - 1}} = (\rm {C ⋅ m^{-3}})/\langle{ε_0} \rangle = \rm {C ⋅ m^{-3}} {\langle{ε_0} \rangle}^{-1}~\dots##
##\dots~##Coulomb force##~F = q_1q_2/(4πε_0r^2)~\Rightarrow~\langle F \rangle = \langle q_1q_2 \rangle/[\langle ε_0 \rangle\langle r^2 \rangle]##
##\Rightarrow~\rm N = \rm {C^2}/[\langle{ε_0} \rangle \rm {m^2}] = \rm {C^2}{\langle{ε_0} \rangle}^{-1} \rm {m^{-2}}~\Rightarrow~{\langle{ε_0} \rangle}^{-1} = \rm N ⋅ \rm {C^{-2}}⋅\rm {m^{+2}}##
It follows that
##\dots~\langle A \rangle \rm {m^{n - 1}} = \rm {C ⋅ m^{-3}} {\langle{ε_0} \rangle}^{-1} = \rm {C ⋅ m^{-3}}⋅\rm N ⋅ \rm {C^{-2}} ⋅\rm {m^{+2}} = \rm m^{-1}⋅\rm N ⋅ \rm {C^{-1}}~\dots##
##\Rightarrow~\rm {m^{n - 1}} = \rm m^{-1}~\Rightarrow~n - 1 = -1~\Rightarrow~n = 0~\Rightarrow~\langle A \rangle \rm {m^{-1}} = \rm m^{-1}⋅\rm N ⋅ \rm {C^{-1}}~\dots##
##\Rightarrow~\langle A \rangle = \rm N ⋅ \rm {C^{-1}}~\Rightarrow~##a unit of the electric field
Going back to the result we saw by combining the two expressions obtained earlier for ##Φ_E~##, we find that
##\dots~n = 0~\Rightarrow~2A{r_0}^{-1} = ρ/ε_0~\dots##
##\Rightarrow~A{r_0}^{-1} = \begin{cases}\begin{align} & (0.5)(1.264×10^{-6}~\rm C ⋅ \rm m^{-3})/(8.85 ×10^{-12}~\rm C^2 ⋅ N^{-1} ⋅ \rm m^{-2})~\dots \nonumber \\ & 7.141243 ×10^4~\rm C^{-1} ⋅ N ⋅ \rm m^{-1}~\dots\nonumber \end{align}\end{cases}##
##\Rightarrow~A = 7.141243 ×10^4~\rm N ⋅ \rm C^{-1}~\Leftarrow~\text{value of }## ##A## ##\text{ in }## ##E = Ar_0^n~\dots##
so that ##n = 0~\Rightarrow~E = A## ##~\text {at the center of the cylindrical charge distribution}##.
The given value ##R = 7.2~\rm cm = 0.072~\rm m~## has no use, unless ##r_0 = 7.2~\rm cm = 0.072~\rm m~##and it turns out that##~n \neq 0~##.

• Informative
  • Skeptical
Likes Delta2, PeroK and Hamiltonian
This thread is almost 9 years old. It cannot be of much help to the OP.

kuruman said:
This thread is almost 9 years old. It cannot be of much help to the OP.
Yeah, but it might help someone else who finds the thread via a Google search. As long as a schoolwork thread has been dormant for a while, it's okay to post a full solution for future reference. :smile:

• Informative
Likes dlgoff, Delta2, JD_PM and 2 others
berkeman said:
Yeah, but it might help someone else who finds the thread via a Google search. As long as a schoolwork thread has been dormant for a while, it's okay to post a full solution for future reference. :smile:
In that case, a better solution is required for the record because the solution in #2 meanders about and comes up with the nonsensical conclusion
kumusta said:
so that ##n = 0~\Rightarrow~E = A## ##~\text {at the center of the cylindrical charge distribution}##.
At the center of the distribution, the field is zero, not equal to the constant ##A##. Furthermore, the radial dependence is linear inside the distribution. Here is a compact solution.

We construct a cylindrical Gaussian surface of radius ##r## that is coaxial with the cylinder. For a length ##L## of the cylinder, Gauss's law says
$$E 2\pi rL=\frac{\rho\pi r^2L}{\epsilon_0} \implies E=\frac{\rho r}{2\epsilon_0 }.$$Thus, if we are to write ##E=Ar^n##, we must identify ##A =\dfrac{\rho}{2\epsilon_0}## and ##n=1##.

Likes Delta2, berkeman, SammyS and 1 other person
Okay, I was wrong. I'm sorry. I accept my mistake. But even without the mathematics, it is clear that ##E = 0## at the center of the uniformly charged cylinder because ##\vec E## run radially away from the axis so that pairs of them moving away opposite one another cancel out. I failed to see that. I wonder where I made a mistake in my computation.
Another thing though. I don't think that giving a solution that meanders about is not at all that bad, so long as one comes to sensible results of course. Poor students who want to learn physics will not be able to grasp everything in compact solutions that kuruman seems to be so fond of.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK and Delta2
Could somebody familiar with the way mathematicians argue please take a look at this and make a comment? Thank you. I'm not a mathematician. What follows is about the electric field at the axis of a long uniformly charged right circular cylinder.
kuruman said:
... a better solution is required for the record because the solution in #2 meanders about and comes up with the nonsensical conclusion ...
... At the center of the distribution, the field is zero, not equal to the constant ##A##. Furthermore, the radial dependence is linear inside the distribution. Here is a compact solution.
We construct a cylindrical Gaussian surface of radius ##r## that is coaxial with the cylinder. For a length ##L## of the cylinder, Gauss's law says
$$E 2\pi rL=\frac{\rho\pi r^2L}{\epsilon_0} \implies E=\frac{\rho r}{2\epsilon_0 }.$$Thus, if we are to write ##E=Ar^n##, we must identify ##A =\dfrac{\rho}{2\epsilon_0}## and ##n=1##.
Following his arguments in post #5, he obtained ##~E2πrL = ρπr^2L/ε_0~\dots##
##\Rightarrow~E = ρr/(2ε_0)~\dots## which he got, presumably, by just dividing by ##2πrL##. Equivalently, one could write his result as ##~2πrL[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ]## = 0 ##~\Rightarrow~r[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ]## = 0##~\dots~## which one obtains by dividing by ##2πL## involving constants only, leaving the common variable factor ##r## untouched to avoid division by 0, which everyone should know is not allowed in mathematics. Now, along the cylindrical axis where ##r = 0##, is it correct to say that ##[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ]## = 0 is valid too, so that one gets ##E = ρr/(2ε_0)##? Or is it more mathematically sound to conclude that, assuming ##r = 0##, then ##[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ]~\neq~0## so that ##E~\neq~ρr/(2ε_0)~##, and that therefore, one cannot say that ##E = 0~##when ##r = 0##, something that one gets only when ##[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ] = 0?## I'm sorry if my questions are somewhat confusing. I don't know how to ask them in a better way. I'm not a native English language speaker.

• Informative
Likes Delta2
kumusta said:
Could somebody familiar with the way mathematicians argue please take a look at this and make a comment? Thank you. I'm not a mathematician. What follows is about the electric field at the axis of a long uniformly charged right circular cylinder.

##\Rightarrow~E = ρr/(2ε_0)~\dots## which he got, presumably, by just dividing by ##2πrL##. Equivalently, one could write his result as ##~2πrL[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ]## = 0 ##~\Rightarrow~r[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ]## = 0##~\dots~## which one obtains by dividing by ##2πL## involving constants only, leaving the common variable factor ##r## untouched to avoid division by 0, which everyone should know is not allowed in mathematics. Now, along the cylindrical axis where ##r = 0##, is it correct to say that ##[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ]## = 0 is valid too, so that one gets ##E = ρr/(2ε_0)##? Or is it more mathematically sound to conclude that, assuming ##r = 0##, then ##[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ]~\neq~0## so that ##E~\neq~ρr/(2ε_0)~##, and that therefore, one cannot say that ##E = 0~##when ##r = 0##, something that one gets only when ##[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ] = 0?## I'm sorry if my questions are somewhat confusing. I don't know how to ask them in a better way. I'm not a native English language speaker.
I am a mathematician, and I think you are partially correct on this comment, that is for ##r\neq 0## it is ##E=\rho r/2\epsilon_0## but for ##r=0## we can't tell what is happening, all we can say is that $$\lim_{r\to 0}E=0$$

kumusta said:

Perhaps you missed the relevance of the opening statement in my compact proof, so I will point it out, "We construct a cylindrical Gaussian surface of radius ##r## that is coaxial with the cylinder." If the radius of this surface were exactly equal to zero, it would not be a surface but an infinitely thin straight line and would not qualify as a closed Gaussian surface enclosing volume ##V##. Thus, ##r\neq 0## and it is safe to divide both sides of the equation by ##r##.

Likes PeroK
... the electric field at the centre of the cylinder must be ##0## by symmetry. If it were non-zero, in which direction would it point?

And if that observation saves a page of meandering and messy algebra, then all the better. For the instructor and the student.

• Informative
Likes Delta2 and kuruman
@Delta2 ... Thanks for your comments.
Delta2 said:
I am a mathematician, and I think you are partially correct on this comment, that is for ##r\neq 0## it is ##E=\rho r/2\epsilon_0## but for ##r=0## we can't tell what is happening, all we can say is that $$\lim_{r\to 0}E=0$$
But if ##~E=\rho r/2\epsilon_0~## for ##~r\neq 0~##, how did you get ##~\lim_{r\to 0}E=0~## for ##~r = 0~?~## Which expression for ##E~## did you use in evaluating the limit?

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
kumusta said:

But if ##~E=\rho r/2\epsilon_0~## for ##~r\neq 0~##, how did you get ##~\lim_{r\to 0}E=0~## for ##~r = 0~?~## Which expression for ##E~## did you use in evaluating the limit?
This expression:##~E=\rho r/2\epsilon_0~##

Likes Delta2
Yes as @PeroK said, when evaluating a limit we don't care what happens at exactly the point of the limit (here we don't care what happens for r=0, in order to evaluate the ##\lim_{r\to 0}E##. Only case we care of course is if we want to prove that the function is continuous.

Delta2 said:
Yes as @PeroK said, when evaluating a limit we don't care what happens at exactly the point of the limit (here we don't care what happens for r=0, in order to evaluate the ##\lim_{r\to 0}E##. Only case we care of course is if we want to prove that the function is continuous.
In this case, an assumption of the continuity of ##E## at ##r = 0## would also lead to ##E(r = 0) = 0##.

PeroK said:
In this case, an assumption of the continuity of ##E## at ##r = 0## would also lead to ##E(r = 0) = 0##.
Yes I was thinking along the same lines but can't fully justify that E has to be continuous at r=0. I know usually discontinuity of the E-field is where we have discontinuity of the charge density but I don't know if this is a sound argument.

Likes PeroK
Delta2 said:
... when evaluating a limit we don't care what happens at exactly the point of the limit (here we don't care what happens for r=0, in order to evaluate the ##\lim_{r\to 0}E##. Only case we care of course is if we want to prove that the function is continuous.
So, if one knows what happens in the neighborhood of the point in question, then one can make conclusions about the limit at exactly that point? Then, if one wants to talk next about the limit of the magnitude of the electric field ##~E~## at a point, one also has to examine the continuity of ##~E~## at that point by making some assumptions. So how does one make these assumptions? Where does one get them? Can one base these assumptions on what the neighboring points around the point in question do? If yes, then knowing that ##~\lim_{r\to 0}E~## in the neighborhood of ##~r = 0~## can be used to justify the continuity of ##~E~## there and come to the conclusion that ##~E = 0~## at ##~r = 0~##, just like what PeroK did in #14.

kumusta said:
So, if one knows what happens in the neighborhood of the point in question, then one can make conclusions about the limit at exactly that point? Then, if one wants to talk next about the limit of the magnitude of the electric field ##~E~## at a point, one also has to examine the continuity of ##~E~## at that point by making some assumptions. So how does one make these assumptions? Where does one get them? Can one base these assumptions on what the neighboring points around the point in question do? If yes, then knowing that ##~\lim_{r\to 0}E~## in the neighborhood of ##~r = 0~## can be used to justify the continuity of ##~E~## there and come to the conclusion that ##~E = 0~## at ##~r = 0~##, just like what PeroK did in #14.
I don't know what assumption we should made to ensure that the E-field is continuous at a point. All I know is that if the charge density has some discontinuity then the E-field also has discontinuity at that point, but I am not sure about the inverse.

kumusta said:

If someone gave you the expression $$y=a~x$$ and asked you "what is the value of ##y## at ##x=0## would you answer "zero" or would you start talking about the "continuity of ##y## in the neighborhood of ##x=0##" and the "##~\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} {y}~##"? The relation ##E=\frac{\rho}{2\epsilon_0}r## is a linear relation just like ##y=ax## or ##V=IR##. In this equation, ##E## is a positive scalar quantity such that ##E \geq 0## and should be treated as such.

The vector field ##\vec E## is continuous. The plot below shows the dependence of the magnitude ##E## as a function of the radial distance from the axis. There is no discontinuity anywhere.

EPlot.png

Alternatively, you can plot the Cartesian x-component (see below). Likewise, there is no discontinuity anywhere.
E_x.png

Likes PeroK
@kuruman ... I know fully well what open surfaces and closed surfaces are and how they differ from lines. I also happen to know what coaxial cylinders are. I wasn't talking about reducing the ##~r~## of the imaginary Gaussian surface ##~\rm S~## to zero in post #7. I was referring to the range of values ##~0\leq r\lt R~##. Again, the equations obtained from Gauss's law
##~~E2πrL = ρπr^2/(2ε_0)~\Rightarrow~2πrL[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ] = 0~\Rightarrow~r[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ] = 0##
are valid for any point on ##~\rm S~## where ##~0\leq r\lt R~## so that, strictly speaking, you cannot divide the last equation by ##~r~## to get ##~[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ] = 0.~##I think it should remain $$ r[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ] = 0~\Rightarrow\begin{cases}\begin{align} & r = 0 ~\rm {but}~[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ] \neq 0
~,\rm {or}\dots\nonumber \\ & r\neq 0~\rm {but}~[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ] = 0\dots\nonumber \end{align}\end{cases} $$ According to Delta2 in post #8:
Delta2 said:
I am a mathematician, and I think you are partially correct ... that is for ##r\neq 0## it is ##E=\rho r/2\epsilon_0## but for ##r=0## we can't tell what is happening, all we can say is that ##\lim_{r\to 0}E=0~.##
Therefore, the only valid conclusion that one can make from Gauss's law concerning what we're talking about is to say that ##~E = ρr/(2ε_0)~## when ##~r\neq 0~.## The conclusion regarding ##~E~## when ##~r = 0~## is left hanging. The graphs that you're showing me now makes sense only to those who accept the result of Gauss's law obtained by dividing by zero an expression that does not include zero in its domain. I'm not saying that physics is wrong. I know that what you're arguing for is already an old established fact in physics. What I'm looking for is a justification of what you want me to accept that is not obtained by an illegal procedure in mathematics like dividing by zero. What I want is something like the idea proposed by PeroK in post #14.
PeroK said:
I thought of something in post #16:
kumusta said:
and asked Delta2 about it in post #17 but his reply was
Delta2 said:
I don't know what assumption we should made to ensure that the E-field is continuous at a point. All I know is that if the charge density has some discontinuity then the E-field also has discontinuity at that point, but I am not sure about the inverse.
so that nothing more came out of it and my dissatisfaction regarding the present state of affairs continues.

kumusta said:
Again, the equations obtained from Gauss's law
##~~E2πrL = ρπr^2/(2ε_0)~\Rightarrow~2πrL[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ] = 0~\Rightarrow~r[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ] = 0##
are valid for any point on ##~\rm S~## where ##~0\leq r\lt R~## so that, strictly speaking, you cannot divide the last equation by ##~r~## to get ##~[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ] = 0.~##I think it should remain $$ r[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ] = 0~\Rightarrow\begin{cases}\begin{align} & r = 0 ~\rm {but}~[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ] \neq 0
~,\rm {or}\dots\nonumber \\ & r\neq 0~\rm {but}~[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ] = 0\dots\nonumber \end{align}\end{cases} $$
Look at the first case. You say that if ##r=0##, ##[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ] \neq 0##. Fair enough. What could ##[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ]## conceivably be? First of all, we have already accepted that ##r=0## therefore ##[ E - ρr/(2ε_0) ]## reduces to ##E##. So we have ##rE=0## with ##r=0## which mathematically says that ##E## could be one of two choices: (a) is non-zero and has the value ##E_0## at ##r=0##; (b) ##E## is also zero at ##r=0##. This is as far as the math will take you.

At this point, we set the math aside and consider the physical situation. Construct a Gaussian surface whose radial boundaries are ##a \leq r \leq b## (##a,~b~<R##) that has thickness ##\Delta z## and subtends angle ##\Delta \phi## with the ##z-##axis. The volume enclosed by this surface is $$V=\frac{1}{2}(b^2-a^2)\Delta \phi \Delta z~~ \text{and the enclosed charge is }q_{\text{enc}}=\frac{1}{2}\rho(b^2-a^2)\Delta \phi \Delta z.$$The faces perpendicular to the electric field have areas ##E_a=a\Delta \phi \Delta z## and ##E_b=b\Delta \phi \Delta z##.

Now let's make the assumption that the radial field at ##r=0## is non-zero and has the value ##E_r=E_0##. By superposition, the field inside is ##E_r=E_0+\dfrac{\rho~ r}{2\epsilon_0}##. The corresponding fluxes are
##\Phi_a=-(E_0+\dfrac{\rho~ a}{2\epsilon_0})(a\Delta \phi \Delta z)##
##\Phi_b=(E_0+\dfrac{\rho~ b}{2\epsilon_0})(b\Delta \phi \Delta z)##
and
##\Phi_{net}=\Phi_a+\Phi_b=\left[E_0(b-a)+\dfrac{1}{2\epsilon_0}\rho(b^2-a^2)\right]\Delta \phi \Delta z.## Gauss's law says ##\Phi_{net}=\dfrac{q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0}.## Substituting from above the following must be true $$\left[E_0(b-a)+\frac{1}{2\epsilon_0}\rho(b^2-a^2)\right]\Delta \phi \Delta z=\frac{1}{\epsilon_0}\times \frac{1}{2}\rho(b^2-a^2)\Delta \phi \Delta z.$$It will be true only if ##E_0(b-a)=0##. By construction of the Gaussian surface, ##b>a## which means that (##b-a##) cannot be zero. Therefore ##E_0## must be zero. In other words, if we assume that the field does not vanish on the axis, Gauss's law is violated. Conversely, if you find an expression for the field using Gauss's law, you cannot superpose another field to what you found without violating the law.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I already disagree with you right at the beginning of your arguments.
$$\dots~{\rm {assumption~1:}} ~r = 0~ {\rm with} ~[E - ρr/(2ε_0)] \neq0~\Rightarrow~E\neq0~\dots$$ $$\dots~{\rm {assumption~2:}}~rE = 0~\Rightarrow~\begin{cases}\begin{align} & ~(i)~r = 0~{\rm {but}}~E\neq0~,~{\rm {or}} ~\dots\nonumber \\ & ~(ii)~r\neq0~{\rm {but}}~E = 0~\dots \nonumber\end{align}\end{cases}$$If your assumption 2 follows from assumption 1, then I don't think that ##~(ii)~## is a valid conclusion.

Last edited:
kumusta said:
I'm sorry but I already disagree with you right at the beginning of your arguments.
$$\dots~{\rm {assumption~1:}} ~r = 0~ {\rm with} ~[E - ρr/(2ε_0)] \neq0~\Rightarrow~E\neq0~\dots$$ $$\dots~{\rm {assumption~2:}}~rE = 0~\Rightarrow~\begin{cases}\begin{align} & ~(i)~r = 0~{\rm {but}}~E\neq0~,~{\rm {or}} ~\dots\nonumber \\ & ~(ii)~r\neq0~{\rm {but}}~E = 0~\dots \nonumber\end{align}\end{cases}\nonumber$$If your assumption 2 follows from assumption 1, then I don't think that ##~(ii)~## is a valid conclusion.
Perhaps you did not understand the significance of what I posted in #20. Starting with ##rE=0##, I considered case (i) ##r=0## and ##E=E_0\neq 0## at ##r=0##. I then showed that if that is true, Gauss's law is violated. At this point one is faced with two options:$$\text{Choose}~\begin{cases}\begin{align} & ~(i)~r = 0~{\rm {and}}~E\neq0~\text{and violate Gauss's law.}~ \nonumber \\ & ~(ii)~r\neq0~{\rm {and}}~E = 0~\text{in accordance with Gauss's law.} \nonumber\end{align}\end{cases}$$ I chose to uphold the law, you chose otherwise. Watch out for the Gauss's law police.

Likes PeroK
In the second part of your arguments, the one with (math+physics), I don't get this:
kuruman said:
... has thickness ##\Delta z## ... subtends angle ##\Delta \phi## with ##z-##axis ... volume enclosed by this surface is ##V= (1/2)(b^2-a^2)\Delta \phi \Delta z~~ \text{and the enclosed charge is }q_{\text{enc}}=(1/2)\rho(b^2-a^2)\Delta \phi \Delta z## ...
Isn't ##~\Delta \phi~## on the plane ⊥ to the ##~z~## axis subtending an ∠ with the ##~x~## and ##~y~## axes? And why do you have the factor 1/2 in the volume enclosed? For an infinitesimal volume, its simply ##~V##= length × width × thickness without an obvious need for a constant factor. Then you assumed a nonzero field ##E_0## at the center of the cylinder so that the total field ##E_{\rm T}## at any points away from the cylinder axis becomes ##E_{\rm T}## = ## E_0 + E_r~##=##~E_0 + ρr/(2ε_0)##. Then you took the flux through the vertical sections of the lateral side of the volume enclosed ##~V_{\rm {enc}}~##. Regarding that volume, with inward flux ##~\Phi_a\gt0~## and outward flux ##~\Phi_b\lt0~## having opposite signs to what you did, one should get the total flux$$\begin{align}\Phi_{\rm T} = \Phi_a + \Phi_b & = [E_0 +ρa/(2ε_0)]a\Delta\phi\Delta z - [E_0 +ρb/(2ε_0)]b\Delta\phi\Delta z~\dots\nonumber \\ & = [E_0(a - b) - (b^2 - a^2)/(2ε_0)]\Delta\phi\Delta z~\dots \nonumber\ \\ & = [ρ(b^2 - a^2)/ε_0]\Delta\phi\Delta z~\dots \nonumber\end{align}$$ $$\Rightarrow~E_0 - ρ(b + a)/(2ε_0) = ρ(b + a)/ε_0~\Rightarrow~E_0 = 3ρ(b + a)/(2ε_0)\neq0~\dots$$ At any rate, that did not allow me to successfully apply the reductio ad absordum that you used to show that ##~\vec E = 0~## at the center of the cylinder.
So, after finally understanding the second part of your argument, I have these two misgivings: ##(i)~##the use of the sign convention for the flux of ##V_{\rm {enc}}## that is opposite to what I would normally use, and ##~(ii)~##the factor (1/2) in your expression for ##~V_{\rm {enc}}~##. I wouldn't have used the area of a triangle for infinitesimal area. But then, why not? You were able to remove the annoying term by using that area formula. Anyway, I'm somewhat satisfied now. Thanks for your patience and mathematical-physical insights. But up to now, I still don't know how pure mathematics could help in removing that obvious contradiction.
Oh, that reminds me. I hope the Gauss's Law Polizei won't look for me anymore.
gau_cyl5.jpg

Thanks to your nice drawing I can answer your questions. First, I use the convention ##\Delta \phi## to convey the idea of a finite difference, e.g. (60o-43o) as opposed to an infinitesimal difference that I would write as ##d\phi##. The area of the sector on top that has radius ##a## is a fraction of a circle of radius ##a##. That fraction is proportional to the subtended angle: ##f=\dfrac{\Delta \phi}{2\pi}## which becomes 1 when ##\Delta \phi=2\pi##. Makes sense, no? Thus, the area of that sector is $$A_{\text{top,a}}=f \pi a^2=\frac{\Delta \phi}{2\pi}\pi~a^2=\frac{1}{2}(\Delta \phi) a^2.$$Simlarly, the area of the larger sector is ##A_{\text{top,b}}=\frac{1}{2}(\Delta \phi) b^2.## Thus, the area of the top face of the Gaussian surface is the difference, ##A_{\text{top}}=A_{\text{top,b}}-A_{\text{top,a}}=\frac{1}{2}(\Delta \phi) (b^2-a^2).##

Now for the net flux. The flux through the 4 flat faces is zero because the electric field has no component perpendicular to them. The flux through the front face is negative because the outward normal is in the negative radial direction, toward to axis whilst the field is away from the axis. The curved area at ##a## is ##A_a=a~\Delta\phi \Delta z.## Thus, the total flux through the front curved area is $$\Phi_a=-\left(E_0+\dfrac{\rho~ a}{2\epsilon_0}\right)(a\Delta \phi \Delta z)=\left(-E_0a-\dfrac{\rho~ a^2}{2\epsilon_0}\right)(\Delta \phi \Delta z)$$ The flux through the front curved piece is positive, $$\Phi_b=\left(E_0+\dfrac{\rho~ b}{2\epsilon_0}\right)(b\Delta \phi \Delta z)=\left(E_0 b+\dfrac{\rho~ b^2}{2\epsilon_0}\right)(\Delta \phi \Delta z)$$When you add the two, you get,$$\Phi_{\text{net}}=\left[E_0 b+\dfrac{\rho~ b^2}{2\epsilon_0}+(-E_0a-\dfrac{\rho~ a^2}{2\epsilon_0})\right](\Delta \phi \Delta z)=\left[E_0(b-a)+\frac{1}{2\epsilon_0}\rho(b^2-a^2)\right](\Delta \phi \Delta z).$$I hope that, with this, you will be completely satisfied. We aim to please.

I don't understand this part of your last explanations:
kuruman said:
... the area of the sector on top that has radius ##a## is a fraction of a circle of radius ##a##. That fraction is proportional to the subtended angle: ##f=\dfrac{\Delta \phi}{2\pi}## which becomes 1 when ##\Delta \phi=2\pi##. Makes sense, no? Thus, the area of that sector is $$A_{\text{top,a}}=f \pi a^2=\frac{\Delta \phi}{2\pi}\pi~a^2=\frac{1}{2}(\Delta \phi) a^2.$$Simlarly, the area of the larger sector is ##A_{\text{top,b}}=\frac{1}{2}(\Delta \phi) b^2.## Thus, the area of the top face of the Gaussian surface is the difference, ##A_{\text{top}}=A_{\text{top,b}}-A_{\text{top,a}}=\frac{1}{2}(\Delta \phi) (b^2-a^2)## ...
Why is the fraction ##~f~## not ##~f\neq a^2\Delta \phi/(πa^2)?## You used one that is half as small that I think it should be. But if one uses the formula for the area of a triangle ½×Base×Height, which I already mentioned in post #23, then one gets also $$A_{\text{top,a}}=½(a\Delta \phi)a = ½(a^2\Delta \phi)~$$like you did. I think its OK to do that for an infinitesimal area element. All the rest will come out similar to what you got.
I was so focused looking at the flux direction, thinking which is coming in and going out of ##V_{\rm {enc}}## that I totally forgot the more important relation between ##\vec E## and the outward normal ##\hat {\rm n}~.##
Yes, I think I can say I'm fully satisfied now except for the purely math part. I'm really thankful for your patience and efforts, and the kindness of Physics Forums staff for enabling me to continue learning even after the normal years of basic education. I'm glad that you liked my drawing. Here is another one similar to the first. I enjoy making geometric drawings using the computer.
gau_cyl_sec2a.jpg

@kumusta, Don't want to intervene in your dialogue with @kuruman but which program do you use to make these nice schematics?

Delta2 said:
@kumusta, Don't want to intervene in your dialogue with @kuruman but which program do you use to make these nice schematics?
No intervention. I would like to know the answer myself. I normally use the graphing tools of PowerPoint which sometimes are unsatisfactory.

Likes Delta2
kumusta said:
I don't understand this part of your last explanations:

Why is the fraction ##~f~## not ##~f\neq a^2\Delta \phi/(πa^2)?## You used one that is half as small that I think it should be. But if one uses the formula for the area of a triangle ½×Base×Height, which I already mentioned in post #23, then one gets also $$A_{\text{top,a}}=½(a\Delta \phi)a = ½(a^2\Delta \phi)~$$like you did. I think its OK to do that for an infinitesimal area element. All the rest will come out similar to what you got.
Here is how I see it. The area of the sector is zero when ##\Delta \phi=0## and ##\pi a^2## when ##\Delta \phi=2\pi##. This suggests a linear relationship with no intercept between the area and ##\Delta \phi##. This means that we can write ##A=m \Delta \phi## where ##m## is the slope. To find what it is, we use what we know, namely that the area is ##\pi~a^2## when ##\Delta \phi=2\pi##: $$\pi~a^2=m 2\pi~\implies~m=\frac{1}{2}a^2.$$ Thus, ##A=\dfrac{1}{2}a^2 \Delta \phi.## If you see it differently, it's OK as long as the result is the same.

I only use Insert in MS Word to choose the shape that I want and I paste it on the document. Once you click on it the main menu Shape Format pops out and you can do almost anything the way you want it, to almost any measure that you like. It just needs familiarity and lots of practice. If you want to know something in particular after trying it out, and I know something about it, just send me an email and I'll be glad to help you guys.

1. How do I change the shape's size in MS Word?

To change the size of a shape in MS Word, first click on the shape to select it. Then, click and drag on one of the resize handles on the corners or sides of the shape to adjust its size. Alternatively, you can also click on the shape and then go to the "Format" tab, click on "Size" and enter the desired dimensions in the "Height" and "Width" boxes.

2. Can I change the color of a shape in MS Word?

Yes, you can change the color of a shape in MS Word. First, select the shape and then go to the "Format" tab. Click on the "Shape Fill" option and choose the desired color from the color palette. You can also use the "Shape Outline" option to change the color of the outline of the shape.

3. How do I add text to a shape in MS Word?

To add text to a shape in MS Word, first select the shape and then click on the "Text Box" option in the "Insert" tab. Choose "Draw Text Box" and then draw a text box inside the shape. You can then type or paste your text into the text box.

4. Is it possible to rotate a shape in MS Word?

Yes, you can rotate a shape in MS Word. First, select the shape and then go to the "Format" tab. Click on the "Rotate" option and choose the desired rotation angle. You can also click and drag on the green rotation handle on the top of the shape to rotate it.

5. How do I group multiple shapes together in MS Word?

To group multiple shapes together in MS Word, first select all the shapes you want to group by holding down the "Ctrl" key and clicking on each shape. Then, go to the "Format" tab and click on the "Group" option. This will allow you to move and resize all the shapes together as one unit.