1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a Gauss law problem

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    hey guys and gals, I'm normally pretty good at my physics homework, but this problem has my STUMPED, I think im starting it right, but I have no idea how to proceed or if I am on a good path.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A Very Long Cylinder with a radius of 7.2cm (.072m) has a uniform density of charges throughout it. If the charge density of the cylinder is 1,264 nC.m^3, inside the cylinder for what distances x (less the the radius) from the center of the cylinder, the magnitude of the electric field equal to Ax^n where the electric field is in nC and x is measured in meters. What is the value of A, and what is the value of N

2. Relevant equations
    intE*dA=Qin/Epsilon naught

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, so I know I am working in three detentions, so my charge density is not going to be n=q/4piR^2, but rho (shown as P here on out) I was able to assume that the intE*dA=E*2pi*R*L
    and that lead me to

Qin (charge)=int P*Dv and Dv=2piL

but im still confused and have no idea how I am supposed to get a numerical value for these things.

please help

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted