1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a geometric interpretation of the following

1. Oct 16, 2004 #1
    When I use d, I am referring to a partial derivative here.

So where w(z)=u(x,y) + iv(x,y), and the derivative of w(z) exists, I have shown that

(du/dx)(du/dy) + (dv/dx)(dv/dy) = 0

But I have to give a geometric interpretation of this which is somewhat confusing to me. I am not sure what do here. Should I start by constructing vectors normal to the curve u(x,y)=c1 and v(x,y)=c2? And if so, how do I do this? Thanks for reading and wasting your time on me.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2004 #2
    Yes, that is correct. You may consider the vectors normal to the curve u(x,y)=c1 and v(x,y)=c2. To construct normal vectors you just take the gradients of the functions u(x,y) and v(x,y). The condition (du/dx)(du/dy) + (dv/dx)(dv/dy) = 0 means that the two sets of normal vectors are orthogonal. What does this say about the curves u(x,y)=c1 and v(x,y)=c2 themselves?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?