1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a Geometric progression.

1. Apr 17, 2005 #1
    I need a little help with this problem.

In a geometric progession, the first term is 12 and the fourth term is -3/2. Find the sum to n terms and the sum to infinity. Find also, the least value of n for which the magnitude of the difference between the sum to infinity and to n terms are less than 0.001.

I have first expressed the GP as,

[tex] 12, T_2, T_3, -3/2 [/tex]

I see that the ratio between the 4th and 1st terms is [tex] -\frac{1}{8} [/tex] and this is 3 times the common ration r, which is -1/24. To find the sum to n terms, i get,

[tex] S_n =\frac {12 ( - \frac {1}{24} ^n -1 )}{-1/24-1} [/tex]

and the sum to infinity is 11.52. However the sum to infinity is given as 8 in the answer.

To find the last part of the question, i did,

[tex] 11.52- \frac {12 ( - \frac {1}{24} ^n -1 )}{-1/24-1} = 0.001 [/tex] but it didn't work out to get the answer or n=13.

Thanks alot for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2005 #2
    Are you sure thats correct?

4. Apr 17, 2005 #3
    OHHH ! it should be

[tex] r^3 = -\frac {1}{8} [/tex]. thanks alot. that should settle it.

edit:

I have found the sum to infinity already and got 8. But have difficulty in the last part where they asked me to find the value of n where the difference between [tex] S_n [/tex] and [tex] S_\infty [/tex] is 0.001

can someone help?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2005
  5. Apr 17, 2005 #4
    I dont remember series very well, but I'm surethey offer a great explanation in your textbook. I remember ours had 3 pages to this cause alone.

but as far as I can remember, you set [itex]S_n [/itex] to an errorestimation variable [itex] \epsilon[/itex], then set [itex]S_{\infty} -\epsilon < 0.001 [/tex] and I think you try solvin for n or something like that. Someone else probably has a better answer.

6. Apr 17, 2005 #5

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The equation for [tex] S_\infty [/tex] comes from the equation for [tex] S_n [/tex] by taking the limit as n goes to infinity. Take the difference between the equations for [tex] S_\infty [/tex] and [tex] S_n [/tex] and set it equal to 0.001

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?