Help with a little detail (Thermodynamics)

In summary: Turin suggested that the convection might be the major contributor to the heat energy transfer from the wall to the liquid, and I'm not sure if I agree with that. The equation for heat energy transfer in a fluid is:H = - k gradTwhere H is the heat energy current density in the fuel mixture and k is the thermal conductivity of the fuel mixture. The thermal conductivity of water is pretty low, so it would seem that the conduction through a quasi-static fluid element would be the major contributor to the heat energy transfer.
timman_24
I am working on a physics project that has to do with running a gasoline engine on an aqueous fuel mixture. I need some help on one part of my energy balance. The cylinder wall is hot in a running engine, I need to know how much of that heat energy (in kJ)is transferred to the liquid inside of the cylinder by conduction and radiation. I know I would need how long the liquid is exposed, but I don't know if there is an equation to just plug and chug.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Are you sure you want there to be liquid in the cylinders while the engine is running!?

I don't know of an equation for you. I imagine that the radiation part can be:

ΔErad = σT4integral{dt A(t)η(t)}

where σ is the Stefan-Boltzman constant (I think that's what it's called), T is the temperature (I'm assuming that the temperature doesn't change significantly over the process), A(t) is the area of the inside of the cylinder wall exposed to the fuel mixture (which can be calculated if you know what the piston position is as a function of time), and η(t) is the emissivity at the fuel mixture-cylinder wall boundary (which I don't know much about).

Then, you might want to use:

H = - k gradT

where H is the heat energy current density in the fuel mixture and k is the thermal conductivity of the fuel mixture. I imagine that this should give the conduction through a quasi-static fluid element. I have no idea bout convection.

Last edited:
Are you sure you want there to be liquid in the cylinders while the engine is running!?

Well it would seem that would not work very well, but the patent that I am researching says the water turns to a vapor once it hits the cylinder. The vapor then get exposed to a large electric shock and dissociates into hydrogen and oxygen which burns. I thought it was bogus from the start and the more I research it the more my first assumption seems true.

Any info on the convection?

Originally posted by timman_24
... the water turns to a vapor once it hits the cylinder.
This doesn't sound far-fetched to me. I'm pretty sure it would evaporate during the intake stroke if the valve was closed early enough (due to the lowering of the pressure by the expansion of the cavity).

The vapor then get exposed to a large electric shock and dissociates into hydrogen and oxygen which burns.
This part smells pretty bogus to me. The electric dissociation of the water molecules will require some amount of energy. The combustion of these elements back into water will not return more energy than this amount. What is the proposed storage of this energy? A battery? Maybe it's solar? Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that the elements would want to immediately spontaneously recombine (or at least well before the completion of the compression stroke), so it doesn't sound like a very controlled process (and would probably cause a lot of knocking and such). There are a lot of details missing, though, so who knows?

Any info on the convection?
No.

The water is also exposed to a hydrogen producing catalyst, such as nickle and platinum. This would aid in the dissociation of the water. I agree it does sound bogus, but from my research the city of reno used the process in a few of their city buses with great results.

Can anyone give me more information on the n(T) part of the equation that turin suggested. I have all my information except this part.

Thanks

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, work, and energy. It studies how energy is converted from one form to another and how it affects matter.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

3. What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will never decrease over time. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

5. How is thermodynamics applied in real life?

Thermodynamics has a wide range of applications in everyday life, including heating and cooling systems, engines, refrigerators, and even cooking. It is also used in the fields of chemistry, biology, and environmental science to understand and predict how energy is transferred and transformed in natural processes.