Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Help with a math part

1. Apr 5, 2017 #1
    Hello
    i read a quantum mechanics part and found a part of mathematics that i am not a familiar with it so i need a help how to get the equation at the bottom of the attached photo (the mathematics of applying variational method )

Attached Files:

• 5.png
      5.png
      File size:
      29.1 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello mody2

The one numbered (2) ? Or the one ending in ##\sqrt\alpha## ?
    Starting from where ?
    What makes you use the term 'variational method' ? Any context ? Where was it mentioned before ?

4. Apr 5, 2017 #3
    i want second equation that ended by root of alpha
    starting by just following the sequence given at the photo

that was mentioned here
    https://arxiv.org/pdf/1510.07813.pdf

5. Apr 5, 2017 #4
  6. Apr 6, 2017 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I mean where, at what point, at what level, do I have to start ? Do you have any experience at all with a QM course, the hydrogen atom wave functions, the ##Y_{lm}## ? If they are not the 'usual spherical harmonics' to you, I suggest you take a QM textbook and see how far you can come.

Where, exactly, do you get stuck when you work out this <H> ? Show your steps in detail and someone will help you put the last pieces of the puzzle together. Starting from 1+1=2 is really too tedious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted