Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a motor as a dynamo

1. Mar 3, 2017 #1
    Hey,

I understand that essentially a dynamo is the inverse of a motor however I was wondering if I could have a little more detail on the subject, how exactly can you convert a motor to a dynamo? Is it as simple as turning the motor and wiring it up to an output to create the current or do you need to wire the motor differently?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2017 #2

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Depending upon the motor, yes. Permanent magnet motors such as would be used in a power window in a vehicle would work this way.

4. Mar 3, 2017 #3
    I assume then as long as the magnet is permanent the type of motor does not matter? (I.e brushed or brushless or in-runner vs out-runner motor)

Thanks

5. Mar 3, 2017 #4

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. It would need to be a brushed type motor. I don't think brushless motors even have magnets. I have no experience with them other than AC induction motors and I suspect most DC brushless motors are in fact induction motors with a variable frequency drive incorporated. A little googling should turn up many results on basic motor operation.

6. Mar 6, 2017 #5

David Lewis

Gold Member

You will probably have to advance the commutator timing in generator mode to prevent wear and inefficiency.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted