Solving the Watermelon Drop Physics Problem: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter Alanf718
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem where a watermelon is dropped from the roof of a building and the student is trying to calculate the height of the building. The student has attempted to solve the problem by replacing time with an equation, but the book has a different answer. Another person suggests writing down an equation to solve for the height, taking into account the time it takes for the melon to fall and for sound to travel up the building. The student is asked to elaborate on their method and provide their answer.
Alanf718
Ok Iam having problems again with yet something else.

The problem states that

A physics student with too much free time drops a water melon from the roof of a building. He hears the sound of the watermelon going splat 2.50s later. How high is the building? The speed of sound is 340m/s. You may Ignore air restiance.

Well I tried solving this by replacing t by

t= 2.5 - (deltaY/340);

but the book tells me a completely different answer. Can anyone show me how to do this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
The time it takes until you hear the sound from the moment it is dropped is the times it takes the melon to fall to the ground plus the time it takes for sound to go from the ground to the top of the building.
Write down the equation for this and solve for the height.

thats what i did with
t= 2.5 - (deltaY/340);

but I don't get the right answer

Why don't you elaborate on what you've done?
What method did you use exactly. You replaced t by 2.5 - (deltaY/340) in what equation? What answer did you get?

Try giving an expression for the amount of time it takes for the melon to drop to the ground. Then for the amount of time it takes for sound to travel up the length of the building.

1. What is the first step in approaching a new problem?

The first step in approaching a new problem is to clearly define the problem and gather as much information as possible. This will help you understand the problem and come up with potential solutions.

2. How can I come up with potential solutions for a new problem?

Brainstorming is a helpful technique for generating potential solutions. This involves thinking creatively and coming up with as many ideas as possible, even if they seem unrealistic.

3. What should I do if I get stuck while trying to solve a new problem?

If you get stuck while trying to solve a new problem, it can be helpful to take a step back and approach the problem from a different angle. You can also seek advice from colleagues or do additional research to gain new insights.

4. How do I evaluate potential solutions for a new problem?

When evaluating potential solutions for a new problem, it's important to consider factors such as feasibility, cost, and potential impact. You can also use techniques like decision matrices or SWOT analysis to help with the evaluation process.

5. What should I do once I have found a solution for a new problem?

After finding a solution for a new problem, it's important to test and implement the solution. This may involve conducting experiments or trials to ensure the solution is effective. It's also important to monitor the solution and make adjustments if needed.