Solving a Killing Vector Problem in General Relativity: Help with a PDE System

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in solving a system of partial differential equations related to a Killing vector in General Relativity. The equations involve three components and the goal is to find a solution that satisfies the continuity conditions. The expert suggests a method for solving the equations and mentions that the solutions will involve two linearly independent solutions and arbitrary functions. The conversation ends with a question about the expected number of solutions.
Magister
Hi
Solving a Killing vector problem, in General Relativity, I got the following PDE system:
[tex]
\frac{\partial X^0}{\partial x}=0
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{\partial X^1}{\partial y}=0
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{\partial X^2}{\partial z}=0
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{\partial X^0}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial X^1}{\partial x}=0
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{\partial X^0}{\partial z} + \frac{\partial X^2}{\partial x}=0
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{\partial X^1}{\partial z} + \frac{\partial X^2}{\partial y}=0
[/tex]

where [itex] X^a , a=0,1,2[/itex] are the three components of the Killing vector that I am looking for. I have spend a lot of time trying to solve this system but I am not getting any solution.
Thanks for any idea.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what a Killing vector is, so assuming that is has a "nice" form, where by "nice" I mean it satisfies the continuity conditions, etc, which mean that equality between mixed partial derivatives holds, i.e., [itex]\partial_{x}\partial_{y} = \partial_{y}\partial_{x}[/itex], then it follows that

[tex]\partial_{yy}X^{0} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\partial_{zz}X^{0} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\partial_{xx}X^{1} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\partial_{zz}X^{1} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\partial_{xx}X^{2} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\partial_{yy}X^{2} = 0[/tex]

You get these by differentiating your coupled equations with respect to one of the variables for which the derivative of [itex]X^a[/itex] is zero, then swap the order of the partials and that term goes away. You can do that twice with each equation.

I haven't thought of this much past that - my guess is that integrating those and then making sure the arbitrary functions of integration/boundary conditions work out should be sufficient.

Last edited:
I don't know what a Killing vector is, so assuming that is has a "nice" form, where by "nice" I mean it satisfies the continuity conditions, etc, which mean that equality between mixed partial derivatives holds, i.e., LaTeX graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment., then it follows that

Yes, you can assume that they are "nice".
Can you tell me how many solutions should I expect and why? The problem is that I always get lost with the vairous solutions I get.
Thanks for the replies

Well, the second order differential equations will give you two linearly independent solutions. In this case, since the derivative is equal to zero, your solutions will just be a term proportional to the variable and a constant - where you have to note that the constant is actually a function of the other two variables which you did not differentiate with respect to.

You have three differential equations for each [itex]X^a[/itex], two of which are second order and one of which is first order. Solving all three is easy, and so after that you just have to match up the arbitrary functions so that the [itex]X^a[/itex] satisfies all three of its differential equations.

1. What is a PDE system?

A PDE system, or partial differential equation system, is a set of equations that involve partial derivatives of multiple variables. These equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model complex phenomena.

2. Why do we need help with PDE systems?

Solving PDE systems can be challenging and time-consuming, especially for complex systems. Help from experts can save time and improve the accuracy of the solutions.

3. What are some techniques for solving PDE systems?

Some common techniques for solving PDE systems include separation of variables, the method of characteristics, finite difference methods, and numerical methods such as finite element analysis or finite volume methods.

4. How do I know which technique to use for my particular PDE system?

The choice of technique depends on the specific characteristics of your PDE system, such as its type (elliptic, parabolic, or hyperbolic), boundary conditions, and initial conditions. It is best to consult with an expert to determine the most appropriate technique for your system.

5. What are some common applications of PDE systems?

PDE systems have a wide range of applications, including modeling fluid dynamics, heat transfer, electromagnetics, quantum mechanics, and many other physical phenomena. They are also used in financial modeling, image processing, and other fields.