How to Calculate Projectile Angle for Landing in a Specific Distance - 120m

• Thread starter bengaltiger14
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a projectile being shot from a cannon and needing to land in a specific location. The goal is to find the angle at which the projectile should be shot. The conversation includes equations for horizontal and vertical motion, as well as a discussion on using the double angle formula to solve for the angle. After some calculations, the angle is determined to be 9.54339 degrees.
bengaltiger14
Help with a Problem Please...

This is the problem.

A projectile is being shot from a cannon and must land in a hole 120 meter aways. What angle must the projectile be shot at to land in the hole? Here are some other numbers

VoX=60cos(??) Voy=60sin(?)
VfX=? Vfy=?
Ax=0 Ay=-9.81 m/s^2
t=?? t=??
dx=120m dy=0

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, just read the post that I need to post homework problems elsewhere.

take note that the time for vertical and horizontal motion is the same.

since you know the horrizontal velocity, which is in terms of 60cosZ, can you find time?

One is also expected to show ones efforts.

I tried finding t this way dx=Vxt === 120m = 60cosZt

t=120/60cosZ

yeah you are on the right track, try equate the time into your vertical motion equation.

( they land on the ground the same time, the 2 motions)

The answer would be 0 as far as the vertical aspect is concerned right?? I mean the vertical displacement is 0.

correct vertical displacement would be zero

EDITED version

Last edited:
So, would the vertical time be t = sqrt d/VoYt + 1/2a

you can simplify the equation into 0 = t(-Voy + 1/2 g t) ( when solving this type of qns remember to state your sign convention, you don't want the case where you get negative time)

so Voy = 1/2 g t

Last edited:
So t=VoY/2g. But how do I find that if I do not know the angle?? You can't divide 60sin of nothing by 2g can you?

you can equate the 2 equations u have together, the horizontal and vertical, remember the time is the same for both.

Equate them together? So... t= (120/60cosZ) * (60sinZ/2g)

if you equate in such a way, you have 2 viarables to solve and only one equation to work with.

BTW your equation should be T^2 = ..., since u times the 2 equation together.( but this is not the correct equation to use.)

Last edited:
So that is not the correct way to equate it?? I am really confused here.

T = 120/ (60 cos Z)

T = 2(60 sin Z)/(9.81)

120/(60 cos Z) = 2(60 sin Z)/(9.81)

EDIT : i amended the equations. For the time derieved by vertical motion,

Voy = 1/2 g t
(2 voy)/g = t

t = (2 (60) sin Z) / g

You wrote wrongly the equation for your previous post.

Last edited:
Ok. I'm sorry. I thought I put a equals between the two equations. I did not realize it was a muliplication sign. What do I solve for now?? Do I set the equation equal to 0 and divide -120 by 2(9.81)?

you can cross mutiply. Then isolate your Z, i used double angle formula for this.

BTW this is the first time i use double angle formula for physic. feels strange

So, 120 m * (2*9.81) = 2354s^2. What would 60 sinZ time 60cosZ be? 3600 sinZ?

bengaltiger14 said:
So, 120 m * (2*9.81) = 2354s^2.
this part is wrong, as i have stated about, the equation is

120/(60cos Z) = ((2)(60)sin Z)/ 9.81

thus the correct expression should be 120(9.81) = (2)(60)(60)cos Z sin Z

Then use double angle formula :

[tex]\sin(2x) = 2 \sin (x) \cos(x) \ = \frac{2 \tan (x)} {1 + \tan^2(x)}[/tex]

Z should be 9.54339 degree

Ok. I am not familiar with double angle forumula. So far I have gotten.

I multiplied and got 1177s^2 = 7200 cosZSinZ

Ok. I see the forumla now. Thanks

now the doucle angle formula states that:

[tex]\sin(2x) = 2 \sin (x) \cos(x)[/tex]

so we shall express our trigo in this form:

(1177.2)/( 60*60) = 2 sin Z cos Z

2 sin Z cos Z = sin (2Z) as stated by the formula.

There solve from here : sin (2 Z ) = (1177.2)/(60*60)

Last edited:
so sin(2 Z) = .327 Do I divide that by 2. What do I do with the 2Z??

2Z = inverse sin ( 0.327)
2Z = 19.08678...

angle is equal to Z.

Thank you for all your help. As, you can tell, Trig is my weak spot and I need to focus hard on that I see now.

Welcome, always a pleasure to help other.

BTW welcome to PF

Thank you. I am thankful there are people like you around to help others who need help.

1. What is the formula for calculating projectile angle for landing in a specific distance?

The formula for calculating projectile angle for landing in a specific distance is θ = arctan(v2 ± √(v4 - g(gx2 + 2yv2)) / gx, where θ is the angle of projection, v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, x is the horizontal distance, and y is the vertical distance.

2. What units should be used for the variables in the formula?

The units used for the variables in the formula should be consistent. The initial velocity (v) should be in meters per second (m/s), the acceleration due to gravity (g) should be in meters per second squared (m/s2), and the distances (x and y) should be in meters (m).

3. How do I determine the initial velocity and distances for the formula?

The initial velocity can be determined by measuring the speed of the projectile at launch or by using a ballistic pendulum. The distances can be measured using a measuring tape or by using a rangefinder. It is important to measure the horizontal and vertical distances separately.

4. Can the formula be used for all types of projectiles?

Yes, the formula can be used for all types of projectiles as long as the initial velocity and acceleration due to gravity are known. However, it is important to note that the formula assumes a flat surface and ignores air resistance.

5. Are there any other factors that may affect the accuracy of the calculated angle?

Yes, there are other factors that may affect the accuracy of the calculated angle. These include air resistance, wind, and the shape and weight of the projectile. These factors may cause the projectile to deviate from the calculated angle and distance.