1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a problem

1. Sep 20, 2006 #1
    This is from page 1 of "Photons and Atoms" by Cohen-Tannoudji et. al.

Given a set of particles of charge [itex]q_{\alpha}[/itex] and position [itex]r_{\alpha}(t)[/itex] the charge density [itex]\rho[/itex] and current j are given by
    [tex]\rho(r,t) = \Sigma_{\alpha} q_{\alpha}\delta[r - r_{\alpha}(t)][/tex]
    [tex]j(r,t) = \Sigma_{\alpha} q_{\alpha} v_{\alpha} \delta[r - r_{\alpha}(t)][/tex]

Show that:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\rho(r,t) + \nabla \cdot \j(r,t) = 0[/tex]

I don't know how to get started. The only thing I know of that looks like it might help is:

[tex]x\delta'(x) = -\delta(x)[/tex]

But I don't see how to apply it here.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2006 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just use the following (product and chain) rules :

[tex]\vec \nabla \cdot (f\vec v)=(\vec \nabla f)\vec v+f(\vec \nabla \cdot \vec v)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} f(\vec r(t))=(\vec \nabla f)\cdot\frac{\partial \vec r}{\partial t}[/tex]
    And it's be a one or two line proof.

Only thing is you get things like [tex]\vec \nabla \delta(\vec r-\vec r_\alpha(t))[/tex]. I`m not really sure myself what that would be, but just leave it like that and you're fine.

4. Sep 20, 2006 #3
    Thanks for looking at this Galileo. I made a mistake when I posted it. The positions of the particles are a function of time [itex]r_{\alpha}(t)[/itex]. I edited the original and I also repeat the corrected formulas here:

[tex]\rho(r,t) = \Sigma_{\alpha} q_{\alpha}\delta[r - r_{\alpha}(t)][/tex]
    [tex]j(r,t) = \Sigma_{\alpha} q_{\alpha} v_{\alpha} \delta[r - r_{\alpha}(t)][/tex]

If I apply the partials to the formulas and use your suggestions, I get the following:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\rho(r,t) = \Sigma_{\alpha} q_{\alpha} \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\delta[r - r_{\alpha}(t)] = -\Sigma_{\alpha} q_{\alpha} (v_{\alpha} \nabla \delta(r - r_{\alpha}(t)))[/tex]
    [tex]\nabla j(r,t) = \Sigma_{\alpha} q_{\alpha} (\nabla v_{\alpha} \delta(r - r_{\alpha}(t)) + v_{\alpha} \nabla \delta(r - r_{\alpha}(t)))][/tex]

And so:
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\rho(r,t) + \nabla \cdot \j(r,t) = \Sigma_{\alpha} q_{\alpha} \nabla v_{\alpha} \delta(r - r_{\alpha}(t))[/tex]

I'm not there yet, but this is a great stride forward.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  5. Sep 20, 2006 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now, why is the right-hand side equal to zero?

6. Sep 20, 2006 #5
    I figured that out on my way home from work. Thanks to Galileo and to George. I remember your help with GR earlier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?