1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help With A problem

1. Nov 14, 2007 #1
    Hello, this is my first post in these forums, hopefully it proves to be helpful. I recently just took my 4th exam in my ChE 2011 Process Analysis class. I didn't do good on it at all. The good news is, the professor is giving us a chance to get some extra credit.

For Extra Credit:
    Consider problem No. 3.2. There is an effort in this problem. What is it? How can you find the correct solution?

#3.2
    Find the fraction vapor and *liquid and the composition of each stream.
    * Here I assume he means the vapor and liquid composition, the way I typed it is how it appeared on the test.

Info for the problem:
    A feed stream containing 22 mole% methanol and 78 mole % water is brought to equilibrium at 75 deg C and 760 mm Hg. The feed flowrate is 100lb-mole/hr.
    Km=1.49=Xm/Ym, Kw=.38=Xw/Yw

This is about all that is given, the only other thing is a diagram with a system containing a feed stream and then an exit liquid and exit vapor stream.

I have struggled with this class all semester and still have yet to understand it. My professor isn't that great of a teacher. The book we are learning out of is Material Balances For Chemical Engineers by Ramon L. Cerro if that helps, this is Chapter 5 material.

Any help or input anyone can offer is more than I can say my professor has given and would be appreciated more than you can imagine.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2
    There is a correction apparently which helps a little...Instead of effort, he meant to type error. Maybe this will give someone and idea. I'm at a loss.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?