Calculating Ball Velocity: Understanding the Movement of a Thrown Ball

• Thread starter spdrxc
  • Start date
In summary, the velocity of the ball at its highest point is 0, 1s before it reaches its highest point is 32 ft per sec upward, the change in velocity during this 1s interval is 32 ft per sec, its velocity 1s after it reaches its highest point is 32 ft per sec down, the change in velocity during this 1s interval is 32 ft per sec down, the change in velocity during the 2s interval is 64 ft per sec, and the acceleration of the ball during any of these time intervals and at the moment the ball has zero velocity is 32 ft per sec per sec downward.
spdrxc
A ball is thrown with enough speed straight up so taht it is in teh air for several seconds. (a) What is the velocity of the ball when it gets to its highest point? (b) What is the velocity 1s before it reaches its highest point? (c) What is the change in velocity during this 1s interval? (d) What is its velocity 1s after it reaches its highest point? (e) What is the change in velocity during this 1s interval? (f) What is the change in velocity during the 2s interval? (g) What is the acceleration of the ball during any of these time intervals and at the moment the ball has zero velocity?

I am completely and utterly confused. Can someone please help me walk through this?

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) When the ball gets to the highest point -- its speed or velocity is 0 (zero.) This must be the case or else the ball would go higher and it would not be at it's highest point yet.

(b) Since the accelleration is 32 ft per sec. per sec downward it's velosity would be 32 ft per sec upward, so that in 1 sec it's velosity would be 0.

(c) 32 ft per sec. This is standard gravity.

(d) 32 ft / sec down.

(e) 32 ft /sec down.

(f) 64 ft / sec

(g) 32 ft per sec per sec downward Always!

Hope this helps Wes Hughes

I thought I'd chime in a little.

The key to all this is to remember the ball's acceleration is constant. It doesn't matter where the ball is at during its flight. It doesn't matter how hard the ball is launched.

1. How can I get help with a problem?

There are several ways to get help with a problem. You can consult with a colleague or mentor, do research online, or seek guidance from an expert in the field.

2. What should I do if I am stuck on a problem?

If you are stuck on a problem, take a step back and try to approach it from a different angle. You can also ask for help from someone else or consider seeking additional resources or information.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

To improve your problem-solving skills, you can practice regularly by tackling different types of problems. You can also seek feedback and learn from your mistakes. Additionally, staying updated on the latest techniques and strategies can also help.

4. What can I do if I am facing a complex problem?

If you are facing a complex problem, break it down into smaller, manageable parts. This will help you better understand the problem and find a solution. You can also seek advice or collaborate with others to tackle the problem together.

5. How can I prevent problems from arising in the first place?

To prevent problems from arising, it is important to plan and anticipate potential issues beforehand. You can also continuously assess and improve your processes and systems to avoid future problems.