Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a proof (2-D wave propagation stuff)

1. Aug 14, 2007 #1
    I'm reading through an older paper on acoustics with one of those "it can be readily seen that" assertions. Of course, to save my life I can't verify the author's assertion. Here goes: starting with the Helmholtz equation [tex]\nabla^2\psi+k^2\psi=0[/tex], decompose [tex]\psi[/tex] with the 2-D cylindrical basis functions [tex]\psi_n = H^{(1)}_n(kr)\cos n\theta[/tex]. Then with the surface integral definitions

\hat{Q}_{mn} = \frac{1}{4}\int n\cdot \mbox{Re}(\psi_m)\nabla\psi_ndS, \qquad
    Q_{mn} = \frac{1}{4}\int n\cdot \nabla(\mbox{Re}(\psi_m))\psi_ndS

he asserts that by applying the divergence theorem to the difference [tex]\hat{Q}-Q[/tex] we end up with [tex]i[/tex] times the identity matrix. Pretty quickly I reach the expression

without using any of the properties of [tex]\psi[/tex], where the point [tex]r=0[/tex] is not included in the volume of integration. But in the next step, where I substitute [tex]k^2\psi_n[/tex] for [tex]\nabla^2\psi_n[/tex], all I end up doing is 'proving' that the whole expression is equal to zero, which makes no physical sense. Can anyone see what I'm missing here?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted