Help with a proof (Spivak Ch. 1, 1,iii

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving equations and the use of certain mathematical propositions (P1-P12) to solve it. The conversation also mentions the importance of avoiding divisions and working with ##x^2-y^2=0## instead. The use of the proposition ##(*)## is necessary in solving the problem, and an example is given using the clock face to demonstrate its importance.
stunner5000pt
Homework Statement
if x^2 = y^2 then x =y or x = -y
Relevant Equations
P1 to P12 in Spivak
Note sure if this belongs in the Basic Math category or Calc & Beyond section.

I want to make sure I am on the right track here. Here is what i have so far:

[tex] x^2 = y^2 [/tex]

Multiply both sides by x^-1 twice (invoking P7)

[tex] x^2 \cdot x^{-1} = y^2 \cdot x^{-1} [/tex]
[tex] x \cdot x^{-1} = y^2 \cdot x^{-1} [/tex]

and we get,
[tex] 1 = y^2 \cdot x^{-2} [/tex]

Using fact that [tex] y^2 = y \cdot y [/tex] and [tex] x^{-2} = x^{-1} \cdot x^{-1} [/tex]

With P5, we can say [tex] y\cdot y \cdot x^{-1} x^{-1} = y \cdot \left(y\cdot x^{-1}\right) \cdot x^{-1} [/tex]
And P8 on the 2nd 3rd and 4th terms we get:
[tex] \left(y\cdot x^{-1}\right)\cdot \left(y\cdot x^{-1}\right) [/tex]

and
[tex] 1 = \left( y \cdot x^{-1}\right) \cdot \left (y \cdot x^{-1}\right) [/tex]

[tex] 1 = \left( y \cdot x^{-1} \right)^2 [/tex]

we know that 1^2 = 1, so this means that [tex] \left(y\cdot x^{-1}\right) = 1 [/tex]

Multplying both sides by x [tex] y\cdot x^{-1} x = 1 \cdot x [/tex]
and using P7 on the left and P6 on the right, we get [tex] y \cdot 1 = x [/tex]
Finally using P6 on the left, we get y =x

Does this work? Your input is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You used that ##x\neq 0 \neq y## which was not given. I usually try to avoid divisions as long as possible. Why not work with ##x^2-y^2=0## instead?

I don't know what P1 - P12 is, but I assume you will need commutativity, and an integral domain, i.e. ##u \cdot v = 0 \Longrightarrow u=0 \vee v=0##.

Last edited:
DOH!

ok let's try this again:

If [tex] x^2 = y^2 [/tex] then subtracting y^2 from both sides gives
[tex] x^2 - y^2 = y^2 - y^2 [/tex]
and with P3
[tex]x^2 - y^2 = 0 [/tex]
and using P2 we can say
[tex] x^2 + 0 - y^2 = 0 [/tex]
and
[tex] x^2 + x\cdot y - x\cdot y - y^2 = 0 [/tex]
Using P9 in reverse (can we do this?)
[tex] x \cdot (x + y) + (-y) \cdot (x+y) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \left(x+(-y)\right)(x+y)=0[/tex]
Or
[tex] (x-y)(x+y)=0 [/tex]

If ab=0 ,then a = 0 or b = 0 (what proposition in Spivak is this? What allows for this?)

Then using the 1st term in the equation above:
[tex] x - y = 0 [/tex]
adding y to both sides
[tex] x - y + y = 0 + y [/tex]
P3 gives
[tex] x + 0 = 0 +y [/tex]
Using P2
[tex] x = y [/tex]

We can do this similarly for the other term. How does this work?

You could shorten it a lot. I don't know whether this is a proposition or part of the P list, but it is necessary. E.g. on the clock face ##\mathbb{Z}_{12}## we have ##4\cdot 4 = 4 = 2 \cdot 2## and ##4\neq \pm 2##.

Which part is necessary? Also what do you mean by ## \mathbb{Z}_{12} ##

stunner5000pt said:
Which part is necessary?
That a product can only be zero if one (or both) of the factors is. ##(*)##
Also what do you mean by ## \mathbb{Z}_{12} ##
The clock face: the twelve hourly marks. ##4^2## are four times four hours which is the same constellation on the clock as twice two hours, ##2^2##. This is a counterexample in case we do not have the property ##(*)##.

1. What is a proof in mathematics?

A proof in mathematics is a logical argument that shows the validity of a statement or theorem. It is used to demonstrate that a mathematical statement is true by using a series of logical steps and previously established axioms and theorems.

2. How do I approach a proof in Spivak's "Calculus"?

The best approach to a proof in Spivak's "Calculus" is to carefully read the given statement or theorem and identify any key definitions or assumptions. Then, use logical reasoning and previously learned concepts to build a step-by-step argument that leads to the desired conclusion.

3. What is the importance of proofs in mathematics?

Proofs are essential in mathematics because they provide a rigorous and logical foundation for mathematical knowledge. They allow us to confidently establish the truth of mathematical statements and build upon them to develop new theories and concepts.

4. How can I check the validity of my proof?

To check the validity of your proof, you can carefully review each step and ensure that it follows logically from the previous step. You can also try to find counterexamples or exceptions that would disprove your statement. Additionally, seeking feedback from peers or a mathematics tutor can help identify any errors or areas for improvement.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in proofs?

Some common mistakes to avoid in proofs include assuming what you are trying to prove, using incorrect or incomplete definitions or assumptions, and making illogical or unsupported statements. It is also important to clearly and effectively communicate your reasoning and logic throughout the proof.